Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Some recs for my mom

With the Kobo being out now, and cheap, I am thinking of loaning mine to my about-to-retire mother, with the aim that if she likes it, she can keep it as her retirement present. I want to load it up with some books for her. She has commented that she thinks she is not sure she would like my books, but in the past we have shared paper books so I am not sure where this is coming from I know she'll like these ones:

Nora Roberts (she may like the JD Robb stuff; not sure she'll like the straight romances)
Jodi Picoult (she enjoys this author already)
Pat Conroy (his newest is a sweeping saga-esque thing; she goes for that)
Janet Evanovich (she likes mysteries and female authors/characters)

And here are some maybes:

Norbert Davis (she likes mysteries and is a dog fan; this author will be new to her though and is a bit dated)
Ariana Franklin (may be too 'historical fiction' based for her)
Jon Grisham (there are heaps of these in the public library e-system here; she may have read much of them in paper already though)
J.A. Jance (this is just her thing, but I don't have the earlier books so she may feel lost and prefer to start with book 1)
Jeff Lindsay (Dexter is too smarmy and unlikeable for her, I suspect)

I think sometimes I confuse her because I read very different things. So she sees me with Jodi Picoult and tells me she is reading the latest one and enjoying it. Then she sees me with Charlaine Harris and thinks all my books are weird The two types of books I see her with most often are mystery/suspense type stuff and 'chick lit' like Barbara Delinsky. She takes these massive books to Florida every year that are long enoug to take the whole vacation. They are usually stuff like those giant sweeping romance epic things which follow several families through multiple generations of love and war and babies over the course of a hundred years or so. Oh, and she has a husband with a Tom Clancy habit. She'll read those in a pinch but I don't think she prefers them.

She's still doing this whole 'I don't see why I need these things if I can go and buy a book in paper any time I want' thing, but as the reader will be free, and she's retiring and feeling adventurous, I am seizing the moment. What are some other good authors I can include for her?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Well, since you mentioned "massive", how about the Outlander by Diana Gabaldon(<--wiki) (search results)? My boss has just discovered these books and likes some of the other authors you mentioned.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I really enjoyed the Out lander series I think the earlier ones were better than the later ones .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
To be honest, I would ask your mother... Sometimes we're not as old as you might think...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
To be honest, I would ask your mother... Sometimes we're not as old as you might think...
I think Lene's advice is very wise

Just in case your mother might be interested in historical fiction set in New Zealand, I do have something to offer It matches two things from your list above:

a sweeping saga-esque thing
and she likes... female authors/characters

The first book's a free download.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
I second that.

My grand-daughter recommend the trilogy by Stieg Larsson.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl who played with Fire
The G irl who kicked the Hornet's Nest

I read through then all so quickly that I started from the beginning of the series again, and then savoured them. I'll probably read them again in a couple of years time.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
I said this because of some of the presents my kids have bought me...

'OK.. Mum was born in 1949, so we'll look for some 40's music for her... That should make her happy!'

I have no interest in the 1940's music... but I'd love a $5 iTunes card...
Old 05-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #8
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I said this because of some of the presents my kids have bought me...

'OK.. Mum was born in 1949, so we'll look for some 40's music for her... That should make her happy!'

I have no interest in the 1940's music... but I'd love a $5 iTunes card...
Oh, my goodness! I'm sure their intentions were good, but really
Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
LOL I did ask her and she said 'well, I'd just like there to be books *I* would enjoy...'

She's not very tech-savvy at all though. Her wish list for such a product was 'if I were going to Florida for a month, it would have to have enough books on it for a trip like that.' I asked how many books that would be and she said 'Well, at least 8. Maybe 10. Or up to 12.' Um, the book reader can store about 1500 books. I think she'll b fine for a couple weeks in Florida
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
James Patterson's "women's murder club" series.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
(she likes mysteries and female authors/characters)
Maybe...

Linda Fairstein
Nevada Barr
Kathy Reichs

..."Mysteries" is a pretty big category with lots of 'types' within the genre.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
James Patterson's "women's murder club" series.
+1 for this James Patterson series. I believe book 9 in the series was just released.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post

Just in case your mother might be interested in historical fiction set in New Zealand, I do have something to offer It matches two things from your list above:

a sweeping saga-esque thing
and she likes... female authors/characters

The first book's a free download.
I think any female would love your books, Shayne... I highly recommend them...
Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #14
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
I think any female would love your books, Shayne... I highly recommend them...
Old 05-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I seem to have similar mystery tastes to your mother (although she doesn't seem to also favor the geeky sci-fi I love and I find Jodi Picoult's work hackneyed) so here are my suggestions:

Kinsey Milhone series by Sue Grafton
Amelia Peabody series by Elisabeth Peters
Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series by Faye Kellerman
Aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris (definitely "cozy" mysteries, not hard-core)
Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben (man character/author but really good)
No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith

Plus if she enjoys short stories, I can recommend the Ellery Queen magazine. There is also the Alfred Hitchcock magazine, but I find those stories are usually darker and more disturbing than the ones in EQ.

-Marcy

Last edited by Marcy; 05-04-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote