Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #1306
francois
El Book'o'phage
francois began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505/600, Aura HD
PRS+ 1.1.3 installed, dictionary working... thanks.

Is there a way of integrating the name/phone/email feature of PRS Customizer?

I don't want to flash what PRSCust has produced in the SD folder in case I overwrite PRS+.

Thanks for pointers.
francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #1307
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
@kartu have seen this drop-in replacement firmware for the 505 and 300?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 02:59 AM   #1308
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
francois
Check the posts on the last pages, someone managed to do it, I think. Integrating something like that into PRS+ is planned at some point in the future, but it's not supported at the moment.

dwanthny
Quote:
@kartu have seen this drop-in replacement firmware for the 505 and 300?
Yes. It's:
1) a port of existing app by a small company which is trying to sell eink software (I guess to vendors)
2) it has serious bugs like "changing page won't work", "frozen", "battery gone in a couple of hours"
3) They aren't going to release sources, heck, they don't ever publish GNU stuff they've used (and they've used it a lot), which they MUST do.

I've "officially" asked them for part of the sources, but got no answer so far and I don't think I'll get it in the future.

PS
http://www.ksyslabs.org/projects/ebo...-300-sony-hack
Funny thing is, they've removed the page about porting to 500/300. It contained text about "bad companies" that use open source stuff and present it as their in house product...

Last edited by kartu; 06-18-2010 at 05:36 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #1309
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois View Post
Is there a way of integrating the name/phone/email feature of PRS Customizer?
I haven't done it via the about screen since the recent update, I choose to use the logo change to keep honest people honest. That way your info is right where they can see it.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #1310
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
PRS 505 does not seem to "auto sleep" any more

I have been enjoying the new firmware enhancement for several weeks now, but I have noticed that my 505 does not power down if it sits idle.

Before installing PRS+, the 505 would power down in about 5 mins if it was idle. Now, I can let it sit for 20 mins and it remains on (fell asleep while reading and it was still on when I woke up).

I have looked in all the settings areas I can find, and the sleep mode is on I think. The screen shows:

Sleep Mode: ON
OK
That does indicate that sleep mode is on right?

Is there anything I would need to edit to set it to a 5 or 10 min time frame?
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #1311
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thafrogggg
Thanks for reporting, we'll need to investigate what's going on there.
There is no option to set it to particular time.

If you didn't do it after installing PRS+, try rebooting the reader (Settings => Advanced Settings => Power down, then switch it off) it probably would help.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #1312
pampalini
Enthusiast
pampalini began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 & PRS600 aka Touch Edition
Updates???

Hi kartu, just an information,
is there any plan to upgrade the prs+ (505 version) with the latest dictionary and virtual keyboard implementation?
Do you need more time to test them?
pampalini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #1313
kartu
PRS+ author

pampalini
Is virtual keyboard ready? I thoguht m-land is still working on it.

Small changes will be included in the next minor release. Together with prs-300 port.

Last edited by kartu; 06-22-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #1314
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Small changes will be included in the next minor release.
Any idea if/when the Calculator might be included? I can't see using it often but I like the thought of it being available.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #1315
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
RE: PRS 505 does not seem to "auto sleep" any more

I rebooted the 505 as per your instructions then turned it back on. It is still on after 20 mins.

I just remember to make sure I turn it off when I put it down now, so I am ok for the interim I guess.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #1316
kartu
PRS+ author

PRS+ preview for 300, meanwhile.

thafrogggg
Quote:
I rebooted the 505 as per your instructions then turned it back on. It is still on after 20 mins.
Just tested it on 300 and it doesn't seem to go to sleep either...
We'll look into this issue. Do you remember if this worked in previous versions?

dwanthny
Quote:
Any idea if/when the Calculator might be included?
In the next minor release. This should be "soon".
Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #1317
kartu
PRS+ author

thafrogggg
I've rechecked the auto standby (standard sony) code, and it is as follows, if feature is enabled, then:

ebook.setAutoStandby(60 * 60);

which should mean that it powers off in one hour. (!) Which makes me wonder... I also recall screen going blank in about 5 minutes... At least on 300...

Anyway, when I've played with the "big bad" autostandby, changing the timeout time on it actually work. So it is possible to change actual timeout setting as an advanced option.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #1318
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
thafrogggg

Just tested it on 300 and it doesn't seem to go to sleep either...
We'll look into this issue. Do you remember if this worked in previous versions?
I currently have PRS+ 1.1.2rc (although I am relatively sure I last installed 1.1.2) on my 505 according to the about screen and it goes into sleep mode fine. The nonadjustable default for the 505 to go into sleep mode has always been 1 hour not 5 or 10 minutes.

Update: going into sleep mode faster isn't much(if any) of a battery saver and could lead to slightly more power usage depending on your habits. Whether the screen is blank or has writing the device still uses about the same power.

The main benefit sleep mode has is that it disconnects the front panel buttons from working and accidentally using power by inadvertently being depressed.

If one's habits were such that they found they let it go to sleep often and kept kicking alive again, the screen draws would end up using more power each time you had to come back from sleep mode. Most likely the reason Sony set the default to 60 minutes.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-22-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #1319
pampalini
Enthusiast
pampalini began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 & PRS600 aka Touch Edition
Quote:
pampalini
Is virtual keyboard ready? I thoguht m-land is still working on it.

Small changes will be included in the next minor release. Together with prs-300 port.
Thanks for the answer, kartu!!
I'll wait for it...but have no rush...
actually i was wandering if - as i'm italian - i can help with localization...i do not have a lot of time for it, but if you can send me alisto of the words to transalte I can have alook at them...what do you think?
bye
pampalini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #1320
kartu
PRS+ author

pampalini
Localizing PRS+ comes down to translating strings in the following file:
http://prs-plus.googlecode.com/hg/50...lang/Sample.js

Would be great if you find time to translate it to Italian...