Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
PSA - remember to virus check!

I "rooted" my Nook Simple Touch recently, and found it all pretty interesting, and started playing round with various utilities and what-not found via Google search. At some point I managed to get a rootkit malware infection on my Windows laptop! I think the second time in my life I got some kind of virus, the first being in the nineties some time.

Luckily AVG picked up the infection on doing a full scan. AVG could not delete it, it would just reappear with a different name. I downloaded a Kapersky utility which removed it, but there was still something screwy with the OS, so I ended up just wiping the drive and installing Ubuntu. Which is great BTW.

I figured I was too smart to virus scan and only noticed the infection coincidentally. So watch out if you've been installing little utilities to do e-book related tasks like metadata editing or whatever. (I am not sure of the exact vector in my case)
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I somehow got a nasty rootkit trojan (Zeroaccess) on my main (this one) computer last week. Nothing worked to remove it. I spent several hours trying to fix it with Kapersky tools, Norton tools and instructions, etc. Oh and I do have and keep my virus protection (Norton) up to date. It was alerting me on this one every 5 mins as the trojan attempted to do something. It just wouldn't remove kill it/remove it.

What ended up working was rolling my entire system back to the previous week.

Last edited by kennyc; 06-29-2012 at 07:05 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I love the smell of a fresh OS install in the morning.
Spoiler:
Or should I say after a root-kit discovery.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
And if you are an older male don't forget the "other" PSA test.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What ended up working was rolling my entire system back to the previous week.
Long Live Linux ...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
And if you are an older male don't forget the "other" PSA test.
Apache

Yes! Do it! It might save your real life, as well as your virtual life.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Some nitwit uploaded a virus to a shared network folder at work, and it wreaked havoc on several machines.

The offending file? A comic book. 20+ machine wipes and a thorough cleaning up of the network files... And all was well again.

(I promise, it wasn't me)
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I bet it was a dirty comic too.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes! Do it! It might save your real life, as well as your virtual life.
It did mine. I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in January of this year. I elected to forgo the surgery my Urologist wanted to do. Instead I went with Proton Therapy. This is a short ranged radiation treatment. The benefit over regular Photon Radiation is the healthy tissue behind the tumor is not damaged since the radiation stops at the tumor. For example Proton Therapy, for treatment of cancer in the left breast, does not harm the patients heart. And the results of treatment of brain tumors, in children, is phenomenal.
The side effects for Proton Therapy are minor compared to surgery too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
It did mine. I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in January of this year. I elected to forgo the surgery my Urologist wanted to do. Instead I went with Proton Therapy. This is a short ranged radiation treatment. The benefit over regular Photon Radiation is the healthy tissue behind the tumor is not damaged since the radiation stops at the tumor. For example Proton Therapy, for treatment of cancer in the left breast, does not harm the patients heart. And the results of treatment of brain tumors, in children, is phenomenal.
Apache
Wow. I hope all works out and stays well.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
And yet a US Govt task force recently stated PSA tests on healthy men are unnecessary and should be discontinued.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Long Live Linux ...
^^^^^ Winning
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #13
Mujokan
Connoisseur
Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mujokan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
On the topic of Linux, I am feeling like a bit of a Ubuntu evangelist. If you have a spare computer around, like say an old netbook, it is worth checking out just to try it.

What I did was go find the latest version of it, which was Pangolin. You get an iso file through a torrent. I do not normally use file sharing, so if I had to get a torrent on Windows I would download Opera, which can handle torrents. However the Opera uninstall does leave a bit of detritus behind it seems.

Then burn that to a CD. You can also install the iso on a USB memory stick, but I would not recommend this at least with Pangolin. When I was running the OS directly off the stick the OS lost track of the video driver somehow and it caused a big problem. I tried installing off a stick and it got a fatal error and munted itself. But installing off the CD worked fine.

On my install I replaced Windows completely with Ubuntu, so I don't know how dual booting works. I did not look into preserving partitions because it seemed too complicated. So data transition can take a lot of time.

It is a cute interface and the whole thing is reminiscent of Android I guess. There is a lot of flexibility with what you can control. Some software has more features than in Windows, e.g. video encoding, if you know what I mean.
Mujokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Apache
Good luck and best wishes to you!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
And yet a US Govt task force recently stated PSA tests on healthy men are unnecessary and should be discontinued.
There are other opinions as well. It's quite controversial. The main thing is to get and evaluate ALL information, not to slavishly follow "standard procedure."