Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
A feature a wifi enabled large format reader would provide

I never considered this before, it might serve just as well for devices of all sizes, though large format readers might be most in need of it. But with an on-demand wifi built in and a generic printer driver built-in the firmware or OS, adding the ability to print certain documents from a reader makes a LOT of sense.

In another thread someone mentioned company forms handy on a KDX is a nice thing. My thoughts went to "...yeah, but what good is a form you can only look at..?" Well, sans a touch interface or even with a touch interface, if one could connect to your office or home network and print a form or pages of interest on demand that sure would be a good argument for including wifi in even eink devices.

Yeah, sure one can use their PC or even a tablet device...but if you buy into say a KDX for business or school use, printing becomes a problematic overly complex multi-stage process.

Anyway, just an observation from the cheap seats.

BTW, not asking if you individually don't need the ability, that is not relevant, buy a device w/o the ability in that case. But rather for those who seem the target demographic for larger reading devices it sure seems like printing should be a given. Generic, basic printer drivers exist, the current crop of CPU's in readers have all the clock cycles to spare in order to generate the printer output...it just seems to be quite an oversight. I know I never thought of it before.

Last edited by brecklundin; 06-05-2009 at 09:07 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've seen that question asked about the DR before. It doesn't support it out of the box, but theoretically it should be possible if/when the DR1000SW comes out, since it's an open device running linux. You'd just need to install the right driver and set it up on your network.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
thanks for confirming Shaggy. I was figuring any of the Linux slabs would be able to support it somehow. It has been decades since I managed an -ix network and even then I did so with much frustration (my employer refeused to pay for training for ANY employee, including mangement and I was a Netware guy with all the alphabet soup characters after my title so SunIX was just fugly for me at first). I had to learn on the fly and can count on one finger the number of things I remember about -ix before getting my N800.

That dawns on me, I should be able to kludge some sort of support on it to print over my network. And here I couldahada V8...

THANKS!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote