Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
TMath
TMath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Convert Secure Mobi to read on Kindle

I am sure this has been posted before but I am new to this forum and can't find it.

Can anyone tell me how to convert my secure Mobi ebooks to be able to read on my Kindle?

I need step by step instructions as i am not very computer savvy.

Thanks in advance.
TMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The short answer is: use mobidedrm.py.

This is a python script that must be run from the command line. It can be difficult to learn the "command line", but the good news is that the Kindle Visual Guide, once decimated by Amazon's strong arm tactics, again has sections on Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac and Install Python Windows.

There are various threads about mobidedrm, but no explicit set of instructions for its use. You might find what you are looking for in one of those threads, see search for mobidedrm.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please do not ask for (or provide) instructions on DRM removal on MobileRead. It is against our site policy to provide such.

Thank you,

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
TMath
TMath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Harry, Sorry for violating site policy. Didn't realize I was doing anything wrong. Won't happen again. I just want to read ebooks I have already paid for.
TMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No problem. It's just that we get sent nasty letters by lawyers if people are too "explicit" in their advice; I'm sure you understand .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMath View Post
I am sure this has been posted before but I am new to this forum and can't find it.

Can anyone tell me how to convert my secure Mobi ebooks to be able to read on my Kindle?

I need step by step instructions as i am not very computer savvy.

Thanks in advance.
You might want to read this article and may help you:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Amazon-Kin...oks&id=1959353
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Talking

My advice is don't google for mobidedrm or kindlepid and don't search torrent sites. That kind of software may be illegal depending on your countries laws and possible applications of the software.

In the U.S. its use might be restricted (or denied) under the Digital Millennium Copyrights Act. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA

Also note that if you claim "Fair Use" the burden of proof lies on the defendant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Last edited by demoric; 05-14-2009 at 07:54 PM.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Of course, you have to be sued before you have to prove anything, and the chances that anyone will be sued for using such tools so they can read books they already own on their Kindle is very, very, small.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Sometimes the truth can masquerade as a lie.

My advice is don't google for mobidedrm or kindlepid and don't search torrent sites.

People should know what the possible repercussions of their actions are. Many times there's a chasm between social morals of what's right and wrong, and the laws that society are supposed to live by.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #10
JohnClif
Enthusiast
JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JohnClif has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, PC/Mobipocket Reader, Palm T3
I don't work at Amazon, but I'm pretty sure that they can (and most likely do) walk your book inventory remotely, and if they encounter hacked MOBI DRM files I'm sure they keep track of this.

The downside of Whispernet is that nothing on your Kindle is private.
JohnClif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #11
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Your advice might be better phrased not to use the various Python scripts -- but to advise not even to search for them on Google is absolute overkill. People SHOULD, in my opinion, search Google on such if only to learn what it is that is being denied to them and to form their own opinions as to whether DRM protection makes sense. That's like saying guns don't kill people, Google does.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnClif View Post
I don't work at Amazon, but I'm pretty sure that they can (and most likely do) walk your book inventory remotely, and if they encounter hacked MOBI DRM files I'm sure they keep track of this.
I agree that they could do this, but I doubt they bother. The mobidedrm script leaves the metadata intact, and so it is easy to tell that the ebook came from a DRMed source. I don't personally think this is a bad thing, because it demonstrates that you did not bootleged the ebook. I also think stripping DRM is legal for personal use in the US, but this has never been tested in court. If you want to strip the metadata, use Calibre's any2mobi script (i.e. MOBI to MOBI it) or import to Calibre, edit the metadata and export as a MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Do you think stripping DRM so that you could read your own, purchased books on your kindle would be equivalent to Apple allowing people to rip DRM-protected music to CDs for their own use -- back when their music was DRM?
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
demoric
Kindle 2 User

In accordance with
Quote:
Please do not ask for (or provide) instructions on DRM removal on MobileRead. It is against our site policy to provide such.
I personally didn't provide any links. Now hints as to where you could find such information... I'll leave that up to the reader to decide.