Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why is it so hard to preserve blank lines?

I don't know why it is, but many of the e-book reading apps I've tried lately lose track of the blank lines I separate sections with in e-book files I create. Moon+ loses them, and Freda, and Bookviser Reader. Yet apps like Kobo and Nook don't have any trouble keeping them; ditto Google Play Books and iBooks. What's up with that?
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
How are you coding the line breaks and I think you posted in the wrong section.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By making them separate sections in Scrivener.

And I couldn't find any other forum that talked about e-reader apps from multiple platforms in one place (as this happens across both Windows and Android apps), so I figured "general" was the place to go.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post

And I couldn't find any other forum that talked about e-reader apps from multiple platforms in one place (as this happens across both Windows and Android apps), so I figured "general" was the place to go.
Ask in the writer's corner.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Robotech_Master
Fanatic

What would writers know about how e-reader programs are coded?
Advert
Old 04-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

You said books you created so I assumed you were a writer.
And because many writers use the program you mentioned.
Let me yell for a geek or three that know more than I do.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because Kobo and Nook respect the CSS. Those other programs mentioned do not. Plain and simple.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because Kobo and Nook respect the CSS. Those other programs mentioned do not. Plain and simple.
Pretty much it, at least for Moon+ I know it is.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:

Since you are talking about ePub the ePub forum might do ?
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I got in the habit of adding a line that reads <p>&nbsp;</p> where I want a space and to make sure that space will not be removed, and everywhere I've seen, including Moon+ Reader Pro, it seems to work.

Moon+ has a setting to disable CSS, make sure that is not checked, maybe that's your only problem.

Edit: Just wanted to add that my version of Moon+ Reader Pro is 3.5.0.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 04-29-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Pretty much it, at least for Moon+ I know it is.
In Moon reader 2.1 you can check/un-check use of CSS.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I put in something like:

<p class="centre">* * *</p>
or
<p class="centre">&mdash;&mdash;&mdash;</p>

since this is targeted at an ereader, this covers the situation where the 'blank' line is at the top or bottom of the page.

The mdash method has the additional feature of not interfering with the existing asterisk scene breaks in the book.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I got in the habit of adding a line that reads <p>&nbsp;</p> where I want a space and to make sure that space will not be removed

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:08 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It does not depend on Scrivener itself, but more how the blank line is coded into the ePUB. That can be done in various ways. The purists will insist you use margins to create a blank line and although they are correct, your reading program need to honor the stylesheet in order to represent it (btw, a reading program that does not honor stylesheets is a broken program in my book...). Another much used method is the empty paragraph. However, a lot of readers and reading programs will discard real empty paragraphs or paragraphs with only a space inside it (e.g. <br /> or <p> </p>. That is why you need to enter a special space inside it to work in all cases: <p>&nbsp;</p>.
So, perhaps Scrivener has an output option for this, otherwise you need to check how it is put in the code and correct it there.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #15
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
I don't know why it is, but many of the e-book reading apps I've tried lately lose track of the blank lines I separate sections with in e-book files I create. Moon+ loses them, and Freda, and Bookviser Reader. Yet apps like Kobo and Nook don't have any trouble keeping them; ditto Google Play Books and iBooks. What's up with that?
if you set Freda's 'remove blank lines' setting to yes, then blank lines will be removed everywhere, whether at the end of sections, or at the ends of paragraphs, or wherever. The best way to ensure that you get a blank line after some element in Freda is to set a margin below the element ("margin-below" in the CSS Style). Freda's parsing of CSS styles is a bit flakey, but it should be able to understand that (but make sure that the setting 'max margin' is set to some value other than zero - a zero value for that setting will mean that Freda suppresses all margins).

If you don't want to start messing about with margins, then probably your best bet is to use the Freda settings:
line break after para = no
force indent = yes
remove blank lines = no
This should mean that any place you actually insert a line break (element "<br>") in your file, you will see a line break. Paragraphs will not have space inserted between them, but the first line of each paragraph will be indented.

Do let me know how you get on, and by all means send me some sample files and style sheets, if you'd like me to check what exactly Freda is doing with them, and to fix the program in any places where it is doing the wrong thing.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote