Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Transfer from Calibre to iPad via DiskAid

I am trying to copy my mobi converted books from Calibre to my ipad/kindle app via DiskAid.

When I open DiskAid do I select copy file? or copy folder? Which calibre folder do I use? I tried just dragging and dropping from Calibre into the ebook folder in the Kindle app, but it won't work.

I have everything else working....just can't figure out probably the most obvious part

Thanks so much
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Just an update. So I figured out a work around. I transfer my books to iTunes - by dragging and dropping from Calibre into the Kindle app sharing folder. Then I open DiskAid and move them from the general folder to the ebook folder.

When I just did the first part (dragging to kindle/iTunes) the books wouldn't sync across my iPad and Kindle. By doing the second part (moving to the ebook folder) they sync perfectly. These are for sideloaded non-amazon books.

I still wish there was a way to copy directly to that ebook folder. But this works
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdwygurl View Post
I am trying to copy my mobi converted books from Calibre to my ipad/kindle app via DiskAid.

When I open DiskAid do I select copy file? or copy folder? Which calibre folder do I use? I tried just dragging and dropping from Calibre into the ebook folder in the Kindle app, but it won't work.

I have everything else working....just can't figure out probably the most obvious part

Thanks so much
I have always just copied the files. Don't know if the app would be able to read inside the folders.

What happens when you try to drag them to the ebook folder.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
I recommend you using the content server on Calibre to very easily transfer books to Stanza on the iPad. No need for for the Kindle app.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #5
brdwygurl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I have always just copied the files. Don't know if the app would be able to read inside the folders.

What happens when you try to drag them to the ebook folder.

Carol
Thanks for your reply. I figured the lack of answers was because no one else has this problem. It's odd - I wondered if there was some setting that I was missing. Or maybe because I am trying to drag to a hidden folder (I changed show full path in options).

When I click and drag.... the thumbnail of the book comes over, but when I release, it doesn't copy it to the folder.

The Kindle app reads the books fine, and actually it's the only way I have found to be able to sync non-amazon books across devices. I tried email myself the books to my iPad, using drop box to transfer and also transferring through itunes. The non-amazon books just would not sync...so I was very happy this worked
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
brdwygurl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
I recommend you using the content server on Calibre to very easily transfer books to Stanza on the iPad. No need for for the Kindle app.
But I want to sync the books between my iPad and an actual Kindle...that's why I use the Kindle app. Stanza doesn't sync with a kindle does it?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I figured the lack of answers was because no one else has this problem. It's odd - I wondered if there was some setting that I was missing. Or maybe because I am trying to drag to a hidden folder (I changed show full path in options).

When I click and drag.... the thumbnail of the book comes over, but when I release, it doesn't copy it to the folder.

The Kindle app reads the books fine, and actually it's the only way I have found to be able to sync non-amazon books across devices. I tried email myself the books to my iPad, using drop box to transfer and also transferring through itunes. The non-amazon books just would not sync...so I was very happy this worked
Do you have the Kindle App closed on your iPad when transfering? Some reported that the book didn't show up if the App was open. I think they needed to restart their phone. I've never had that problem. Do you get a circle with a slash or anything when trying to transfer? Did you scroll down in the ebook folder. The Amazon books all start with a B and then numbers, maybe your book is further down after the B's. What does the icon change to when trying to drag over?

Hopefully someone will have the answer.

Carol
Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
brdwygurl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Do you have the Kindle App closed on your iPad when transfering? Some reported that the book didn't show up if the App was open. I think they needed to restart their phone. I've never had that problem. Do you get a circle with a slash or anything when trying to transfer? Did you scroll down in the ebook folder. The Amazon books all start with a B and then numbers, maybe your book is further down after the B's. What does the icon change to when trying to drag over?

Hopefully someone will have the answer.

Carol
I just tried again and checked to make sure the kindle app was closed (even from the recent apps dock at the bottom). It def isn't copying. It is not an amazon book, so I have it saved with the actual title. I tried with other books as well and none of them would copy.

BUT I did figure out that while I can't drag and drop from calibre directly into DiskAid....I can drag and drop onto my desktop...and then drag and drop into DiskAid. So that saves me the step of having to go through iTunes at all

Now that I am typing this, I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that Calibre is installed on an external hard drive. Hmmmmm

I am happy with the drag to desktop, then drag to diskaid work around. It's not much trouble, and MUCH easier than itunes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully this will help someone else if they ever run into a similar issue.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I just tried again and checked to make sure the kindle app was closed (even from the recent apps dock at the bottom). It def isn't copying. It is not an amazon book, so I have it saved with the actual title. I tried with other books as well and none of them would copy.

BUT I did figure out that while I can't drag and drop from calibre directly into DiskAid....I can drag and drop onto my desktop...and then drag and drop into DiskAid. So that saves me the step of having to go through iTunes at all

Now that I am typing this, I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that Calibre is installed on an external hard drive. Hmmmmm

I am happy with the drag to desktop, then drag to diskaid work around. It's not much trouble, and MUCH easier than itunes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully this will help someone else if they ever run into a similar issue.
Hmm. Maybe. I have set up a folder on my desktop labeled very cleverly 'ebooks'. In Calibre, I use the 'save to disk' button on the top to send the title to that folder. That is the folder I use to transfer to DiskAid. Easier than dragging from Calibre's folders IMO.

Carol
Old 07-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
brdwygurl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hmm. Maybe. I have set up a folder on my desktop labeled very cleverly 'ebooks'. In Calibre, I use the 'save to disk' button on the top to send the title to that folder. That is the folder I use to transfer to DiskAid. Easier than dragging from Calibre's folders IMO.

Carol
Ohhh I wasn't going into Calibre's folder structure. I had Calibre open and would highlight the rows of books I wanted to move and was trying to drag them over to DiskAid. I am able to drag the rows into a desktop folder and then drag those files over to DiskAid

Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Ohhh I wasn't going into Calibre's folder structure. I had Calibre open and would highlight the rows of books I wanted to move and was trying to drag them over to DiskAid. I am able to drag the rows into a desktop folder and then drag those files over to DiskAid

I think that is your problem. Try the 'save to disk' feature. It's nice and easy.

Carol