Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
PDF on Fire

At the Fire announcement event, I remember one of the Amazon VPs saying Fire would have 'desktop class' PDF viewing. I have tried a couple of PDFs with the 'Amazon Kindle' app and while it works, it is nothing very special, and lacking features beyond zoom/pan.

Not only that, but I was unable to figure out how to side load a PDF so that it would just show up in the Docs listing: had to use ES File explorer to open it (after which it shows up in Docs).

Am I missing something?

(FYI exPDF seems pretty good, as is Mantano. Adobe Reader is probably also good to have on hand in case you need to deal with encrypted PDF or the like)
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
At the Fire announcement event, I remember one of the Amazon VPs saying Fire would have 'desktop class' PDF viewing. I have tried a couple of PDFs with the 'Amazon Kindle' app and while it works, it is nothing very special, and lacking features beyond zoom/pan.

Not only that, but I was unable to figure out how to side load a PDF so that it would just show up in the Docs listing: had to use ES File explorer to open it (after which it shows up in Docs).

Am I missing something?

(FYI exPDF seems pretty good, as is Mantano. Adobe Reader is probably also good to have on hand in case you need to deal with encrypted PDF or the like)

Use Mantano Reader instead. A newer version can be purchased from the Amazon Store for $7.49. An older but functional version can be downloaded here for free:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....3-id4960.html

To install Apps outside of the Amazon Store you have to set it up on your Fire. Touch Quick Settings, More, Device, and enable Allow Installation of Applications from Unknown Sources.

When downloading Apps outside of the Amazon App Store, you will see a small pop-up in the Notification Area of the Status Bar at the Top of the Fire. If you touch the Notification you will see the download in progress. After the download is complete, touch it to launch the App installation package.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-23-2011 at 02:19 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
At the Fire announcement event, I remember one of the Amazon VPs saying Fire would have 'desktop class' PDF viewing. I have tried a couple of PDFs with the 'Amazon Kindle' app and while it works, it is nothing very special, and lacking features beyond zoom/pan...
Not sure what features you're looking for, but I think when people talk about PDFs on the Fire being better, they're comparing it to the e-ink Kindles. I can tell you that the Fire is dramatically better than my Kindle 3, because of the zooming, panning, color, and speed.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Not sure what features you're looking for, but I think when people talk about PDFs on the Fire being better, they're comparing it to the e-ink Kindles. I can tell you that the Fire is dramatically better than my Kindle 3, because of the zooming, panning, color, and speed.
I guess you'd have to ask Amazon what they mean by 'desktop class' PDF viewing. I'd at least like TOC, and have some sort of cropping that would stick from page to page (like Mantano or ezPDF).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote