Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Progress bar is wonky in Softroot 2.4.1

I installed softroot 2.4.1 over softroot 2.4. Ever since, the progress bar at the bottom of the screen seems to come and go. When I open the book I am reading or wake up the Nook, the bar properly indicates my position in the book. When I turn the page, the bar appears as it would if I were on the first page of the book. Then, after another page turn, the bar will sometimes return and show the proper position in the book. This didn't happen before the update.

Also, though I may be imagining it, the page turns seem slower since the update.

Has anyone else noticed this?
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
dblack
dblack has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: ebookwise 1150; Aluratek Libre Ebook Pro; nook
Well, I've noticed mine is doing the same thing...but I'm running the stock 1.4.0 software (I just got the nook about a week ago).
dblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
poutine
poutine doesn't litterpoutine doesn't litter

Device: nook
This would have absolutely nothing to do with the softroot/ROM as the reader is B&N stock. Same goes with page flips.
poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I noticed that behavior but I think it is working as designed. My take is that the pagination is the same as a paper book. Therefore, depending on the font size you are using, it may take a couple of page turns to go through a full page of the pagination taken from the physical book.

Anyway, that's how I justify it. Keeps me happy.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblack View Post
Well, I've noticed mine is doing the same thing...but I'm running the stock 1.4.0 software (I just got the nook about a week ago).
Same here, wonky progress bar with 1.4. I didn't have the problem with the previous firmware, btw.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I noticed that behavior but I think it is working as designed. My take is that the pagination is the same as a paper book. Therefore, depending on the font size you are using, it may take a couple of page turns to go through a full page of the pagination taken from the physical book.
I don't think that the page number not incrementing with every page turn is the issue being discussed here. Rather, the issue is that after some page turns, the progress bar will be "empty" rather than show the read proportion. With the page number staying the same, the bar should show the same proportion as well.

Speaking of which, I've noticed that too and always wondered whether it has to do with the way the display is refreshed (I suppose there are full and "quick" refreshes which may leave some ghosting behind, and thought this might be an instance of that). However, if this wasn't the case prior to v1.4, it has to be a bug.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
I don't think that the page number not incrementing with every page turn is the issue being discussed here. Rather, the issue is that after some page turns, the progress bar will be "empty" rather than show the read proportion. With the page number staying the same, the bar should show the same proportion as well.

Speaking of which, I've noticed that too and always wondered whether it has to do with the way the display is refreshed (I suppose there are full and "quick" refreshes which may leave some ghosting behind, and thought this might be an instance of that). However, if this wasn't the case prior to v1.4, it has to be a bug.
I've had it since 1.3 and, frankly, I don't remember whether it behaved this way or not. I'm going to do some reading. It will be interesting to see if the progress bar only shows on page turns where the page number changes.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I've had it since 1.3 and, frankly, I don't remember whether it behaved this way or not. I'm going to do some reading. It will be interesting to see if the progress bar only shows on page turns where the page number changes.
No, it's not like that either, it only happens sporadically. But if you read, say, a dozen consecutive pages, you're practically bound to see a blank bar at some point. I don't know if this happens with all formats, but I can vouch for ePUBs, having seen this with practically all of those I've touched.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote