Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Free Portable Easy PDF to RTF ??

I FINALLY HAVE A READER AGAIN!!

My brother stole my beloved 500 just a few months after I got it. :-) never had the cash to get another till today! $150 on craigslist! yeah!!!

Is there a good FREE simple (preferably portable single file) converter I drop a PDF onto it (no drm or anything) and it spits out a format retained RTF ? no options no features no buttons DROP a pdf on it and it spits out a same named RTF in the same location as the PDF ?

this way I can just open this program grab a gaggle of PDF's and drop them on it and let it "do its thing"

I found this program

office Convert Pdf to Doc Text Rtf Free

its free sort of (its nag ware) but it works alas the reader will not even SEE the files on the memory stick for some reason. They just don't show up at all. Not sure why.

contextual conversion would be nice too (right click a pdf Click convert to RTF)

I have been reading the forums for an hour now with surprisingly little hits on this issue :-) (I bet 10 minutes after posting this I will find it :-)

OR ANY OTHER format you suggest for the sony prs 500

I got pdftolrf but it makes everything into "pictures" so the resulting file is MASSIVE 419kb pdf becomes a 6.78mb lrf

I like rtf because I can open it on the PC I can not open lrf on the PC (I do not have or want the sony connect software)

I am open for anything I can open on both without the need for "even more" software besides the converter.

Last edited by nerys; 02-27-2010 at 05:35 PM.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Try Calibre... organises and allows easy transfer to reader as well as convrting most formats to most formats and it also includes a reader... it's available for PC, Linux and Mac... see thread on forum here...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
nerys
Addict

I found a truly free PDF to TXT converter that works well. (Some PDF to TXT)

(txt is sooo much smaller than rtf :-)

but man its a headache to format them. Now some pdf's have HEADER AND FOOTER information. is there a way to NUKE that information from the PDF? its "different" each page so I can not even use a global replace command (it has the page number in each so each is IDENTICAL except for that damned page number :-) hehe

still trying to automate the \r\n replacements in notepad++

I am going to search the forum for this Calibre now and see what thats about. thanks!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
nerys
Addict

OK I give up where is the primary thread for this Calibre thing? I can not find it :-)
Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Calibre forum. And link to Calibre homepage, where you can download it free.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that converts all PDFs to easy-to-use ebook formats; how well the conversion works depends on how the PDF was initially made, and you don't get any control over that. Some PDFs will convert cleanly; some will convert with headers as text and a hard return after every line. It's why ebook advocates generally hate PDFs; while they *can* be good ebooks, they have to be made right for that to be true, and most of them aren't; they're made for printing.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
nerys
Addict

so none of this software is able to VISUALLY look at the PDF and convert in such a way as to maintain the same rough VISUAL look in formatting? a pity :-)

I would not mind pdf if I had a kindle dx or similarly large screen reader. Would be perfect in fact. alas I don't :-)

thankfully so far most of them convert relatively pain free :-)

replace a footer string. replace a header string. Strip extra line breaks correct missing breaks and most files are "good enough" to be readable on the sony units :-)

Last edited by nerys; 02-28-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
nerys
Addict

Grr never mind I already posted all this. Tired :-)