Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
lotusindigo
lotusindigo began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Iliad Book Edition: a viable word processor?

Hi, I've been looking at getting a portable word processor, and I've been disappointed by the ugly, calculator-looking options I've found online. As I understand it, the Iliad Book Edition allows for note-taking with a stylus. Does it allow for the creation of longer documents as well (ie, scrolling) or is your note-taking space confined to the space on your screen? I want to be able to write handwritten documents (ie, book chapters) and have them converted to text via MyScript Notes. But I can't find anything online that confirms whether or not the Iliad technology would allow for this.

If it does not, would you know of any other e-ink/e-paper devices that WOULD allow for this?

Thanks.

Last edited by lotusindigo; 08-07-2009 at 04:39 PM.
lotusindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
It won't scroll, but you can create a blank document with lots and lots of pages. It's kind of like a notebook, when you hit the bottom of the page you
turn to the next one and keep writing.

As far as how well MyScript Notes would work to convert your handwriting into a text document, I don't know. I've never used it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
lotusindigo

Ok... so from what I understand, I can create a document with multiple pages that are linked under one file? I won't have to save each individual page as its own file?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
That's correct, lotusindigo. You can have a multiple page document in one file. You can create new pages at the end of your 'notebook', on the fly. One click of the stylus adds a new page quickly, with the same format as the rest of the document.

You can use the existing iLiad templates (blank, lines or squares) or you can create your own. There's several templates that are user-created available here at MR.

This is an old thread for iLiad templates, but it's a good one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7320

You can download a free 30 trial of MyScript Notes from iRex and test it on your handwriting. If you wish to purchase it after the month, you pay online for an unlock code.

It's available at https://www.irexshop.com/

This is a good thread for seeing what iLiad notes look like:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26090
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
lotusindigo

YAY!

That's all I needed to hear to convert me, thanks guys! I'll likely make a purchase in the next few weeks and be back here to share the experience with everyone.

A reader and a notepad in one, EEEEEE!!
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

That's great! I've heard good reports of MyScript Notes, but I haven't used it.

The iLiad has handwriting recognition built-in, but it's not available for converting notepad scribbles. You have the choice of typing or handwriting when you use the onscreen keyboard. It's for entering passwords, URLs in a browser, filling in search boxes, editing filenames and metadata.) My left-handed scrawl is usually converted correctly to type. You can't type your notes using the onscreen keyboard.

I suggest you try out the default iLiad stylus first. If you do a lot of writing, you may find a bigger stylus is easier to hold and use. (There's an advanced and a professional stylus available, at iRex's website or from distributors.)

I have a friend who is writing a book on his iLiad. He writes during the day, then reads it back to his wife each night. They both love their iLiad!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
lotusindigo

I was planning to get the Book Edition anyway, but just for the sake of curiosity... why is the 2nd Edition out of stock? Are they just waiting for more to arrive, or has it been discontinued?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
cbell
Frenetic

I believe they're just waiting for more to arrive. I haven't seen any news of the iLiad V2 being discontinued.

Here in Australia, we have an order for V2s in place and are waiting for our delivery.

I'm affiliated with the Australian distributors for iRex products: DA Direct and Central Book Services
Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
lotusindigo

Thanks!

One more question... you mentioned possibly using a bigger stylus for writing on the Iliad. I looked at the ones on eReader Outfitters, and they seem to have an eraser feature in the tradition of Wacom styli (turn it around like a pencil). There is an asterisk that says that it will be supported by future software for the Digital Reader. Does that mean that it won't be supported by the Iliad series?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
cbell
Frenetic

I believe that's correct. I doubt the eraser feature will ever be supported by iLiads.

It is very easy to erase scribbles though, just a tap on the screen icon to change the pen tool to an eraser and swipe it anywhere on a drawn line. I like drawing a long really tight one-piece spiral then just touching it on the outside line with the eraser. It disappears as a spiral. iLiads are fun. I do Sudoku and crosswords on mine.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
I believe they're just waiting for more to arrive. I haven't seen any news of the iLiad V2 being discontinued.
There are some rumors floating around about a new 8" device being released that is based on similar architecture as the DR1000. It's being called a DR800. iRex hasn't made any official announcements yet, but I would not be surprised if the iLiad is discontinued if/when the DR800 comes out (supposedly later this year).
Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusindigo View Post
Does that mean that it won't be supported by the Iliad series?
That's correct. They are no longer releasing firmware updates with "new features" for the iLiad.

See my previous post about the rumored DR800. You may want to wait and see what happens with that.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
lotusindigo

I just googled the mock-up of the dr800. Looks very sleek and interesting! Hopefully there will be more information about it released soon, because if it doesn't have note-taking capabilites, I won't be buying it.