Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Sony Reader 505, 199$ at Borders

Hello there!

If you have a Borders Rewards Card (they are free and very easy to get), you can buy a PSR-505 for 199$ at Borders. The offer ends 6/14.

Sorry if I sound like a spammer, but thought someone might be interested in this.

Cheers!
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Kantaris
OH HAI THAER
Kantaris began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've been debating which ebook reader to get for about a month now, and as soon as I saw this sale yesterday, I went to go fiddle with that and the 700 side by side and immediately bought it.
Kantaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Kantaris
OH HAI THAER

Also want to add that I loved the touchscreen aspect and controls of the 700, but the device was so locked down I couldn't test the lighting on it, and the screen comparison was no contest.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
babylemon
Code Monkey
babylemon began at the beginning.

The way I see it, I am thinking of going to grad school in a few years, and I think, at that point, I'd spring for a fancy schmancy e-reader. So, for now, I don't need touch screen and such, I just want something that is light that I can bring on long flights, in bed, etc. So, for me, it was no contest, 505 it is.

If you have a sony store around, they are more liberal with their floor sample. You will be able to fiddle around with them as much as you want (I did it for an hour, I think)
babylemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Thats great! Can't wait to hear how both of you like them!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Evin
Evin began at the beginning.

Device: Red Sony 505
Went to order this today and it has vanished off the website! What the heck?
Evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
It looks like maybe they ran out? Are you near a Borders Store?
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Evin
Evin began at the beginning.

Device: Red Sony 505
I called Borders' 800 number and the woman told me they are no longer honoring the coupon for online purchase. Apparently they had a limited number and a surprising (to them) demand. So anyone who didn't buy this yesterday online is out of luck unless they are near a Borders store and can purchase in person. So, I guess if you want one of these, better run out today and get it before their instore stocks deplete as well. I'm out of luck here, but I guess if you snooze you lose.
Evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
WChvrs
WChvrs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 incoming!
Wow I am so glad I clicked that button, I hesitated to purchase but did it! The email confirmation did say it was on back order though.
WChvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
Kantaris
OH HAI THAER

I would try checking the borders website for stock in a store near you. I checked and the two stores around me both said something along the lines of "likely in stock". They had 3 of them in their display. 2 silver and 1 red. And about 20 of the PRS700 touchscreen ones.

Other than me having to use a hot pink color book light (it's my Fiance's but hey, it was free) in the dark, this is easily one of the better purchases that I've made.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But the problem with the 505 vanishing from the site means one cannot check local stores for stock.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
True, but in practice I've always found those "online inventory" systems a bit dodgy for in-store stock. It's best to call the location before you drive anyway.

And it's worth the effort to track one down! I love my $199 505.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I love mine - but my Kindle-owning brother was less than impressed with my choice. (His wife works for Amazon so he thought I should show family loyalty and get the K2).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Was he willing to subsidize the price difference between the Kindle and the Sony?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
True, but in practice I've always found those "online inventory" systems a bit dodgy for in-store stock. It's best to call the location before you drive anyway.

And it's worth the effort to track one down! I love my $199 505.
The way it works at Borders is I go nd check if the item is in stock and the system says it is. The I reserve it and someone in the store then goes to find it and I get an email say if it's on hold for me or not. Then if it is, I go get it.

Best Buy has a similar setup except if the system says it's available and I try to reserve it and it's not really there, I can then order it online with free shipping if I want.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote