Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
The Question of Bookmarks, etc

Greetings:
I only just realised that the 'intro' section is here... at the end of the forum, or else I'd have made my first post here.
I have occasionally read ebooks over the past couple of years, and have run into issues with bookmarks; perhaps I left, thinking that if I came back later the issues would have been resolved. However I have found that some remain:

It seems hard to make a bookmark when reading a book in html format; I can't do it.

The other format I quite like is the adobe reader one as it can be read on anything, but it seems now way to have a bookmark facility. And some ebooks are only available in this format.

The mobipocket has good bookmarks, and yet when I tried this on my Palm Treo a couple of years ago, I kept getting various other problems.

Well the long and the short is, I'm ready to have another stab at the thing. I have order a Cybook Gen3, which should be here soon.

Can a more experienced eBook user than me explain something about the question of bookmarking? After all it really is the sine qua non of the reader!

btw the way I have been doing it for years when working with pdf is to keep a separate text file alongside the ebook (on pc), the highlight the portion of text where I stopped reading, and paste it in an mark it with the date, etc. It's a bit long-winded and off-putting.

Regards,
John

PS: A friend looked at my machine and said "What a pity when you turn a page, there is no experience of turning"... I think he meant that he wanted to see the bottom right corner of the page curl a bit, so there's a visualisation of the page actually turning. I wonder if anyone every thought of that.
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pretty much all eInk devices offer bookmarking. On the Gen3, when you bookmark a page, you get a visual indication of it with a "folded down" page corner.

The refresh speed of an eInk screen is too slow to support page-turn "animations". Even if it wasn't, I suspect that it would get somewhat irritating rather quickly - I hope there would be a way to disable it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Pretty much all eInk devices offer bookmarking. On the Gen3, when you bookmark a page, you get a visual indication of it with a "folded down" page corner.
I think it's more like a ribbon, but nevermind
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

The refresh speed of an eInk screen is too slow to support page-turn "animations". Even if it wasn't, I suspect that it would get somewhat irritating rather quickly - I hope there would be a way to disable it .
>"On the Gen3, when you bookmark a page, you get a visual indication of it with a "folded down" page corner."
OK. So how does one put in a bookmark when reading a pdf file? This seems to stump me.

>"I suspect that it would get somewhat irritating rather quickly"
Indeed. One would expect it to be tog-off-able, but there for those who want it.

btw machine is here.
Plugged into machine on Ubuntu, nothing came up. One hopes this is down to the fact that it needs a charge

Regards

John

Last edited by andavane; 02-06-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
OK. So how does one put in a bookmark when reading a pdf file? This seems to stump me.
You can't, not until the feature is added to the firmware. Note that it's a problem of the software, not of the ebook or format.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You can't, not until the feature is added to the firmware. Note that it's a problem of the software, not of the ebook or format.
Hi:
I'd have agreed there, and yet the free pdf called:

I AM THAT

by Nisargadatta Maharaj

is fully book-markable (it works too!) and the others are not.

Now isn't that a thing?

Regards

John

Tags
forum