Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 02:33 AM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If the eReader will mostly be for Overdrive, he might also consider the Sony T2 (factory refurbished for $50 at TigerDirect) ...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...017&CatId=6847

The advantage of this would be that it can download library books directly to the eReader (ADE is built-in).

But I like the Nook Simple Touch also. And the Kindles.

I don't know that original poster even mentioned Overdrive, however. I think that was brought in later.
It wasn't brought in at all.

On the topic of OverDrive, though: the Kindle too can get library books with nothing but a browser... which happily it has. Within the US most books have a Kindle option for checkout which lets you claim the book through their website. No need for a computer.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
If the eReader will mostly be for Overdrive, he might also consider the Sony T2 (factory refurbished for $50 at TigerDirect) ...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...017&CatId=6847

The advantage of this would be that it can download library books directly to the eReader (ADE is built-in).

But I like the Nook Simple Touch also. And the Kindles.

I don't know that original poster even mentioned Overdrive, however. I think that was brought in later.
Their ad page is a bit misleading, I thinik. (Intel? 12 month Sony warranty?) It doesn't even say if it comes with the stylus or not.

Still, a good price, for sure.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Their ad page is a bit misleading, I thinik. (Intel? 12 month Sony warranty?) It doesn't even say if it comes with the stylus or not.

Still, a good price, for sure.
You can click on the "Specifications" tab and get more information for the T2, but it does look like it uses an Intel processor. (At least that's the claim I've seen in other places.)

It came with the stylus and a 12 Month warranty, plus USB charging cable and all the paperwork -- packed in the retail box with a green "Refurbished" tag. So this is a factory refurbished product.

It also included an outdated coupon for a free Harry Potter book -- which I wouldn't have used anyhow.

EDIT: I don't know what the deal is with the Intel processor. I've seen that claim in several places, but it doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure the Sony eReaders used the Free Scale CPUs, didn't they?

Last edited by rcentros; 06-02-2014 at 11:04 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A friend of mine needs to replace her 505, so I've told her about this deal on the t2. It's a very good price.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 AM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
A friend of mine needs to replace her 505, so I've told her about this deal on the t2. It's a very good price.
If she buys it, I hope she likes it. At first I thought the fonts were too light, but they've grown on me. I still think I like the Nook Simple Touch better though. But if she's already using a Sony, she probably likes them better.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, she doesn't care about fonts (like I do). I prefer the ease of collection management on the Sony (+ Calibre) but not being able to add my own fonts was a negative. I did have my T1 rooted and running a different reader with my fonts, as I recall. However on the Nook ST, rooting, adding android reading apps, and fonts, seems to work better and more reliably. (I was tempted to get the T2, but health insurance and electric bill both went up, so, better not).
Old 06-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #22
yinozrade
yinozrade began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterkobovox View Post
i would recommend kindle instead of no brand ereader. It is tested and excellent support from reputable company behind it
thanks for your recommendation
yinozrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #23
yinozrade

Quote:
The Kindle. The non-brand eReader doesn't even have an e-Ink screen, it's got a TFT LCD. If you want more memory (4 GBs), you could probably find a refurbished or used Kindle Touch in your price range also.

The first one listed here ...

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Touch-e...s=kindle+touch

... is used "like new" for $55.

Or go here for other choices ...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...kindle%20touch

Good luck.
thanks for recommendation, i much prefer e-ink screen as well, the sites you gives me is useful.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #24
yinozrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdolfoHigdon View Post
Your posted amazon kindle book are really looking nice. i am trying to buy it in this month and suggest you to buy this one. Thanks
thanks for your suggestion, have you seen other E-book readers, or made a comparison?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #25
eesoie
eesoie began at the beginning.

definitely kindle, but non-brand one is a good choice as well.
eesoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
On the topic of OverDrive, though: the Kindle too can get library books with nothing but a browser... which happily it has. Within the US most books have a Kindle option for checkout which lets you claim the book through their website. No need for a computer.
But only in the US and there's no reason to suppose that the OP is in the US, especially bearing in mind the fact that English does not appear to be the OP's first language.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-09-2014 at 06:33 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #27
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But only in the US and there's no reason to suppose that the OP is in the US, especially bearing in mind the fact that English does not appear to be the OP's first language.
This... and to the OP, it's very useful for us to know what country you're in. Also where you're planning to get your ebooks (if buying, from which ebook shop, if borrowing, from where, and if public domain/Project Gutenberg, that too, if a library of technical PDFs and scientific papers you already own, that... etc) - knowing what formats you need to read can be a big factor in which ereaders might be best for you.

I would, like others, really recommend against the no-brand ereader you've pointed to. And if you are able, to increase your budget just a little.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, yes. I did point out that that is a US option.

I am happy assuming most people are from the US, at least to the point that I point out the possibility.

Because lets face it -- most of the people that matter are from the US!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote