Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #16
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Revising spelling, I agree with you. Adjusting terminology? That is usually dumbing down, and may actually materially change the book in some cases.

Last edited by darryl; 07-23-2014 at 12:18 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Revising spelling, I agree with you. Adjusting terminology? That is usually dumbing down, and may actually materially change the book in some cases.
What do you mean by adjusting terminology? Does translating "car park" and "letter box" to "parking lot" and "mail slot" count?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I bought the UK version because I wanted it in the original. (shrugs)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
She is a British author, writing books set in Britain, so it's reasonable to consider the British versions as the original, IMHO .
Not disagreeing.

I was trying to say that if I were to have thought about it more completely, I would have realized the British version was the source for all other versions - thus is probably the one I'd want to read.

Plus, since I've already read the US version on paper, this will mix things up a bit.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frddgls View Post
The Canadian print versions of the book have the same text as the UK editions.
gak! They do? I read those years ago..... lol. I have to double check my paper book now, I could have sworn it was the Sorceror's Stone.

I guess this thread should have been a non-thread....

Last edited by foghat; 07-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
If it says Sorceror's Stone, you have an US edition, not a Canadian edition. The US editions are published by Scholastic. The original Canadian editions were published by Raincoast and the current Canadian editions are published by Bloomsbury.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frddgls View Post
If it says Sorceror's Stone, you have an US edition, not a Canadian edition. The US editions are published by Scholastic. The original Canadian editions were published by Raincoast and the current Canadian editions are published by Bloomsbury.
Bloomsbury are, of course, the UK publisher, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #23
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If possible -- and practical -- I try to read both. We are, after all, two peoples separated by a common language. There are subtleties like "the high street" that I have eventually figured out, but there are other concepts that would slide past me without a comparable reference or "translation."

Of course, for a work as large as the Harry Potter series, that may not be practical.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #24
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
A lot of Canadian vocabulary is closer to American than British. Saying that, I for one would always much rather read a text in the original than in some edited form. Get the original. You can always google words if you're not sure. The differences are not so great that it will be difficult, and the genuine vocabulary adds to the flavor of the text.
I'd say that the Canadian spelling is closer to British but not necessarily the vocabulary. It depends on the region though. I would much rather have the regional vocabulary maintained in books as it helps transport me to the place and time. Also if I haven't heard of the regionalism I like to learn.

I like these type of lists because some of them I recognize as regional and some of them I didn't:

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/...nt-understand/

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/...nt-understand/
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The way to get the US versions of the Harry Potter series is to get someone to buy it for you as a gift.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote