Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #46
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW
Hello everyone,
I'm having a problem with adding a dictionary to my Paperwhite, or more precisely, getting the Kindle to recognise the language.
I have books in 3 languages on my Kindle: my native, english and spanish. Problem is, spanish doesn't show up in the options awhere I should be able to set the default dictionary to a language. The books in question are from Amazon, so the metadata is right, but then why can't I see spanish among the languages?
Any help would be appreciated.
kledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #47
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kledor View Post
The books in question are from Amazon, so the metadata is right, but then why can't I see spanish among the languages?
Any help would be appreciated.
Many foreign language books on Amazon actually have the wrong language code. Double-check the language codes with the Java Mobi Metadata Editor and change them if necessary.

(If you installed a third party Spanish dictionary and cannot select it as dictionary, it was most likely compiled like a regular mobi book or has the wrong input/output language metadata codes.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #48
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Many foreign language books on Amazon actually have the wrong language code. Double-check the language codes with the Java Mobi Metadata Editor and change them if necessary.

(If you installed a third party Spanish dictionary and cannot select it as dictionary, it was most likely compiled like a regular mobi book or has the wrong input/output language metadata codes.)
Thank you, I'll check it out as soon as I can.

edit: Okay, so the Mobi Meta Editor shows that it's in spanish (es-es 1034), I don't really know what to do with it now.

It is a third party dictionary, but it's from a Kindle site, I have another dictionary from there that is working properly.

Last edited by kledor; 07-21-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #49
Komo
Komo began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-650
Have you also checked (with the meta editor) that the book is set as a dictionary, not a regular book?
Komo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #50
kledor
dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komo View Post
Have you also checked (with the meta editor) that the book is set as a dictionary, not a regular book?
Thank you, that solved the problem! The input language was set as english for some reason, now it's working.
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #51
nutki
nutki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,
I am working on a custom dictionary for my private use with Kindle PW. Recently the firmware uptated and now the dictionary popup window has not just a few lines of plain text, but the actual formatted entry.
This is great change however I don't know how to control the amount of text that is show in the popup. Ideally it should end with the </idx:entry> tag, but actually it seems very random, showing partial or multiple entries (it is not a constant amount of text, the length varies). I though it is something with the input file I create, but I noticed the same happen with the build in English dictionary.

Anybody experiencing the same? Any ideas how to fix it?
nutki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #52
PavelKaza
PavelKaza began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard
Hello
I have Kindle fire HD 7. version 7.4.6.root is ready.
I read book and tap on the word : show english properties. I would like show my language ( Czech)
I go to folder and at /etc/labdictionary/ODE_KCP.mobi - rw-r--r-- rename your file. old File is name ODE_KCP.mobi.bak
after I tap on word in the book and show havent dictionary.

Same dictionary file I use in Findle 3 keyboard and function is ready.

Why doesnt work in Kindle fire HD 7?
Where is problem ? Where I have something change?
thank you for help
PavelKaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #53
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelKaza View Post
Where is problem ? Where I have something change?
AFAIK, the Kindle Fire behaves like the Windows app when it comes to dictionaries. I.e., it only supports the default monolingual English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Japanese dictionaries.

In order to use a dictionary in a different language, you'll have to add the ASIN number of one of the default dictionaries, for example, B003WUYRGI for the ODE or B003ODIZL6 for the NOA, to your Czech dictionary with Java Mobi Metadata Editor.
(You'll also have to delete the corresponding English dictionary.)

You'll also most likely need to change the document language of your Czech Kindle books to English, if you add the ASIN of one of the English dictionaries to your Czech dictionary.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #54
PavelKaza
PavelKaza began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard
HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
In order to use a dictionary in a different language, you'll have to add the ASIN number of one of the default dictionaries, for example, B003WUYRGI for the ODE or B003ODIZL6 for the NOA, to your Czech dictionary with Java Mobi Metadata Editor.
(You'll also have to delete the corresponding English dictionary.)
I must add line
113 B003WUYRGI
and working.
thank you very much

Last edited by PavelKaza; 09-10-2013 at 01:13 AM.
PavelKaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #55
sevenkul
sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutki View Post
Hi,
I am working on a custom dictionary for my private use with Kindle PW. Recently the firmware uptated and now the dictionary popup window has not just a few lines of plain text, but the actual formatted entry.
This is great change however I don't know how to control the amount of text that is show in the popup. Ideally it should end with the </idx:entry> tag, but actually it seems very random, showing partial or multiple entries (it is not a constant amount of text, the length varies). I though it is something with the input file I create, but I noticed the same happen with the build in English dictionary.

Anybody experiencing the same? Any ideas how to fix it?
Try <idx:short>.

Code:
<idx:entry>
  <idx:orth>chair</idx:orth>
  <idx:short>a kind of seat.</idx:short>
  a seat for one person, which has a back, usually four legs and sometimes two arms
<idx:entry>
I also wonder if it works.
sevenkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #56
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

A Hungarian research project has extracted Wiktionary entries for 40 languages; the word lists in the Wiktionary folder are perfect for use with tab2opf.py or the binaries available at this site.
You can also convert these files to StarDict dictionaries with PyGlossary.
(The files names are based on ISO codes. For example, da_oc.txt = Danish-Occitan.)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #57
Difermo
Difermo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need help!! What is wrong here
Difermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Simply that you're not running it correctly. Try:

python tab2opf.py dic.txt
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #59
Difermo
Difermo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Simply that you're not running it correctly. Try:

python tab2opf.py dic.txt
I use all kind of comands. And try all combinations (where to place files and what files). I use bouth tab2opf.py and tab2opf.exe.

Here are some result
[img=http://www33.zippyshare.com/thumb/92566997/file.html][/img]

can you plz explain where to install python27, where to put all files (togather in one folder or not togather)!! Do I pleace all in python folder or no, to desktop or no!! I read this in forum from dictionary faq and how to create your.... and still nothing
Difermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The fundamental problem is that you don't know how to use the command prompt. Before tackling this you really need to go back to basics and learn how to use it. Once you understand things like the current directory, search paths, etc, it'll all make sense.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote