Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
Kindle Paperwhite: Missing Sideloaded Covers?

Probably too soon to ask, but I'm wondering if anyone could help with something. I'm new to the kindle/mobi world and am experiencing a bit of trouble with some missing covers. With some (not all) of my .mobi files, if I move them into the documents folder on the PW via USB cable manually, or have calibre do it, sometimes the covers of these books will be missing (replaced by a generic kindle cover it looks like). If I take the same file and send it to the kindle cloud storage and then tell amazon to send it to my PW it shows up with the cover, but with a white bar labelled "Personal" at the bottom of the book cover--which I can live with, but find a bit annoying.

Anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions for me to try?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

~Otter
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
IIRC when this has come up on other Kindle apps/devices checking the "Enable sharing of..." box under mobi conversion setting in Calibre fixed it. I could be remembering wrong though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
Thank you, I will definitely go give that a try! On another note, I am guessing there is no way to remove the white "Personal" label that amazon places on the bottom of any personal document?

Thanks again-
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
(this is based on Kindle Touch, my PW won't be delivered until tomorrow, but they should be very similar)

The images you see don't come directly from the book file. They're to be found in /system/thumbnails. They're all 157 pixels wide (this might be more like 200 pixels on KPW because of the greater resolution). The height is proportional to the original cover image. I believe Kindle generates these on the fly from cover images found in the book file (or application).

But at least on Fire, cover images have to be of some magic dimensions before the thumbnails will generate and display. When you send things to personal document service metadata (and covers presumably) get 'sanitized' so these will always work. But when sideloaded, this sanitization doesn' t happen. So I'd check the cover dimensions calibre is using and compare ones that work with those that don't, and see if a pattern emerges (for example, if larger resolution images always fail). Or you might search the Fire forum here for the thread discussing the similar issue (I've just read about it, but haven't dealt with it directly myself).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Thank you, I will definitely go give that a try! On another note, I am guessing there is no way to remove the white "Personal" label that amazon places on the bottom of any personal document?

Thanks again-
I'd be surprised if there were, short of a hack. They probably think of this as a feature or convenience, not an annoyance. It is probably an overlay on top of the thumbnail, not in the thumbnail itself.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Oh good to know the covers of Pdocs do work. This is one of the reasons I am getting a PW. The KF generic white covers bug drives me nuts.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
You can change it to list view like the Touch if it bothers you.
I think I may prefer that way. It shows more books.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Having the same problem. Tried the Fire trick of removing the [PDOC] tag but no joy. I also tried a number of different image sizes. Will keep trying.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I did the same book three different ways and here's what I get...

The source is an ePub I just purchased yesterday.

1) Convert from ePub to Mobi in Calibre with no special settings.
Result: Mobi book that shows a placeholder cover, no personal tag

2) Convert using KindlePreviewer
Result: Mobi/KF8 combo that shows the books cover, tagged as personal

3) Convert ePub to Mobi in Calibre with sharing option I mentioned above turned on
Result: Mobi file that shows the books cover, tagged as personal
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What about emailing them does the cover show without the share function checked in Calibre?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What about emailing them does the cover show without the share function checked in Calibre?
OK, I just emailed the doc from test 1 above and it shows up with a cover and a personal tag.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
OK, I just emailed the doc from test 1 above and it shows up with a cover and a personal tag.
That's all I need to know. The KF as we know has issues with this.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-02-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #13
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
OK, I did the same book three different ways and here's what I get...

The source is an ePub I just purchased yesterday.

1) Convert from ePub to Mobi in Calibre with no special settings.
Result: Mobi book that shows a placeholder cover, no personal tag

2) Convert using KindlePreviewer
Result: Mobi/KF8 combo that shows the books cover, tagged as personal

3) Convert ePub to Mobi in Calibre with sharing option I mentioned above turned on
Result: Mobi file that shows the books cover, tagged as personal
Same experience here (did 1 and 3). I decided to go with option 3. Note that this is also being discussed in the Calibre forum (go to 2nd page. First is a guy who is having problems that we did to have)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192561

Last edited by Greg G; 10-03-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 AM   #14
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The technical explanation for this is that if a book's metadata contains an ASIN, the system will try to download the book cover from Amazon.

By default, calibre generates a fake ASIN (a GUID) and inserts it into the book's metadata. So the Kindle will say "Hey, I'll ask online for the cover", but the webservice obviously doesn't know the ID of the book.

Checking the facebook option in the calibre options prevents calibre from putting that fake ASIN in the book, so the cover is taken from the file, instead of searching for it online.

Spoiler:

This is probably exactly the same code as on the Kindle Touch, where it is fixed via an (unofficial) patch. See this post (and the following one) for more info.

PS: It will take some time, but with 99% confidence, JBPatch will eventually also support the Paperwhite.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Do you think this is the KFs problem as well? The ASIN?