Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Turn Your Netbook into a Feature-Rich E-Book Reader

Via Lifehacker.com

E-book readers are popular for reading digital books, but they've got their limitations. If you have a netbook, you already have a powerful and virtually unrestricted portable e-book reader on your hands. You just need to know how to set it up.

Read the article here:

http://lifehacker.com/5468581/turn-y...-e+book-reader
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Outstanding.........karma to you for this!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you but no for me. I've all the applications they say at my netbook (and some others), but no reading for me. I can read at a Palm or an iPhone, but not at a netbook, and turning it isn't the trick.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Thank you but no for me. I've all the applications they say at my netbook (and some others), but no reading for me. I can read at a Palm or an iPhone, but not at a netbook, and turning it isn't the trick.
I agree I could never see reading on a netbook sideways or not.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I *could* read on mine, but always wanted something with a tablet form factor. The Asus T91MT gives me what I feel is the best of both worlds. The power of the netbook and the compatibility to read all formats, but the tablet form factor of a dedicated reading device. The battery life isnt' two weeks, but I get about 10 hours out of Li'l Bit and that's plenty for me.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I *could* read on mine, but always wanted something with a tablet form factor. The Asus T91MT gives me what I feel is the best of both worlds. The power of the netbook and the compatibility to read all formats, but the tablet form factor of a dedicated reading device. The battery life isnt' two weeks, but I get about 10 hours out of Li'l Bit and that's plenty for me.
I just got an Asus T91MT this week. I swapped out the 1GB of RAM for 2GB and uninstalled a lot of the OEM software from Asus to make it run faster. I am using it as my primary eBook reader and it rocks! A bit heavy at 2.1 lbs, but having a backlight, a very responsive touch screen, and a truly open device that also is a fully functional tablet computer (with built-in keyboard) is great. I still have my Sony PRS-300 and iPod touch for portable use, but nothing compares to the Asus T91MT, especially when reading PDFs. I'm currently running MobiPocket reader (my favorite), Kindle for PC (okay but lackluster), and FBReader (good for ePubs). I tried out the B&N PC software but it sucks worse than the Sony Reader Library, neither of which are very customizable.

For those who don't know about the Asus T91MT , it is a 8.9 inch netbook with a touch screen. But rather than being the tradition clamshell-only design used in most netbooks and laptops, the screen can be rotated around and collapsed backwards onto the keyboard to create a tablet notebook. It runs Windows 7 Home Premium. I wouldn't try to use it as my main PC, but as a eBook reader it has more than enough power, speed, and flexibility. Plus it runs any software written for Windows. I got mine from Amazon for less than $500.

Last edited by jswinden; 02-13-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I just got an Asus T91MT this week. I swapped out the 1GB of RAM for 2GB and uninstalled a lot of the OEM software from Asus to make it run faster. I am using it as my primary eBook reader and it rocks! A bit heavy at 2.1 lbs, but having a backlight, a very responsive touch screen, and a truly open device that also is a fully functional tablet computer (with built-in keyboard) is great. I still have my Sony PRS-300 and iPod touch for portable use, but nothing compares to the Asus T91MT, especially when reading PDFs. I'm currently running MobiPocket reader (my favorite), Kindle for PC (okay but lackluster), and FBReader (good for ePubs). I tried out the B&N PC software but it sucks worse than the Sony Reader Library, neither of which are very customizable.

For those who don't know about the Asus T91MT , it is a 8.9 inch netbook with a touch screen. But rather than being the tradition clamshell-only design used in most netbooks and laptops, the screen can be rotated around and collapsed backwards onto the keyboard to create a tablet notebook. It runs Windows 7 Home Premium. I wouldn't try to use it as my main PC, but as a eBook reader it has more than enough power, speed, and flexibility. Plus it runs any software written for Windows. I got mine from Amazon for less than $500.
Since I'm still using my desktop for buying and deDRM'ing purchases, and I intend to keep doing that, I just put two gigs of RAM in mine, uninstalled unnecessary software, and installed Calibre as an all purpose reader. I keep my books on SDHC cards. Once I figured out (duhhhh) that you can open a file with Calibre's ebook viewer rather than having to add the book to Calibre (which means copying it to Calibre's library on the hard drive) and THEN open it; this system works great for me. I got mine at Tiger Direct for less than $500, too.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote