Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Kindle10
Kindle10 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Formatting PDF for Kindle

Hi, I recently got a Kindle and was looking into PDF-Read 1.8 which does work great. However, my problem is that I have scans of classic books which have 2 pages per PDF page. The software converts it to a horizontal view of both pages, which is OK, but is difficult to read. Is there a way to chop the PDF pages in half so that 1 "book page" could be viewed in portrait instead?

I was experimenting with the processing options in the software but without much success with what I'm looking for...

Thanks in advance for any help.
Kindle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle10 View Post
Thanks in advance for any help.
You can convert the PDF to PostScript with 'pdftops', do the page slicing-and-dicing with 'pstops', then turn it back into a PDF with 'ps2pdf'. It's a bit of a hassle, but I've done the same sort of transform that way before.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
Look like pdftops is linux software. No windows or mac?
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookathon View Post
Look like pdftops is linux software. No windows or mac?
There's almost certainly a Mac version available via fink etc., although I don't know what the package names would be -- Debian has pstopdf, pstops, and pdf2ps in 'poppler-utils', 'psutils', and 'ghostscript' respectively. Likewise for Windows under cygwin, but no idea about Windows-native.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote