Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Rip Apple App e-book to other format?

There is a particular version of the Bible I would like on my ebook reader, called Bibel 2000 (Swedish).

The only digital version available is an Apple App (you can see it by searching for Bibel 2000 in itunes, if you are interested).

If I buy this, will I be able to change the format to pdf or epub?

Last edited by martienne; 07-11-2014 at 07:30 PM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Unless you have to have a version of the app, the Bible in Swedish is available at:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2100
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, there no way to change an "app" book to any other format. Come to that, there's no way to change an iBooks book to any other format, either. If you want to convert your books, don't buy them from Apple.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, there no way to change an "app" book to any other format. Come to that, there's no way to change an iBooks book to any other format, either. If you want to convert your books, don't buy them from Apple.
Actually, there is a way to break the DRM of an iBooks book. It's not easy, but it can be done. There's also a way to break the DRM of the app. But that doesn't mean the text from that Bible app can be pulled out and used for anything.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Swedish Bible Society has Bibel 2000 both online as searchable (for free, http://www.bibeln.se/tjanster/) and annotated HTML and it can be bought in PDF-format - http://www.bibelbutiken.se/products/...000-pdf-format

Regards

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

@Kim - Well done to have found it! However, there are some issues, read on....

@Harry and JSWolf - Thanks for sharing your insights regarding Apple books!

I had found the online version, but it's pretty obvious that it wasn't feasible to rip it. But Bibelbutiken, which elibrarian, found is exactly what I needed.

I actually visited that site earlier today, but was so put off by their announcement regarding summer-closure that I didn't search the site, and so I missed the fact that they had it.

I am going to have to wait until 3 August before the staff return from their summer holidays!

Quote:
Bibelbutiken har SEMESTERSTÄNGT mellan den 5/7 - 3/8 (v 28-31) du kan beställa som vanligt men dina varor skickas till dig f.o.m. 4/8.

Vi önskar våra kunder en härlig sommar!
Heja Sverige, lol....

Also: They are not actually selling a digital pdf. What they are selling, is a CD ROM that is "viewable and searcheable in Adobe pdf reader" according to their product description.
I guess that means it's also rippable. But this means I will have to pay extra for a physical CD I don't want, and for shipping this CD to the UK where I live at the mom, which probably takes a good 2 weeks between them receiving the order, and the CD reaching me. Gosh!! Is this the 21st century, or not?

For those who are thinking "Why don't you go to your country's most famous website and grab it there?" Well it's not there, or any similar site, strangely enough.

Thanks also to those who realised that it was this particular version I wanted, not any old version with ancient grammar / vocabulary - they are floating around online, but are a pain in the neck to read. Bibel 2000 is the super controversial and state funded translation that values political correctness over actual conformity to the original texts.... However the linguistic quality is apparently phenomenal; they used the best authors and poets to get it just perfect, so that's why I want it; mainly to read the book of Psalms.

Last edited by martienne; 07-11-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
For those who are thinking "Why don't you go to your country's most famous website and grab it there?" Well it's not there, or any similar site, strangely enough.
And, of course, there's the side issue that you would be instantly banned from MR were you to ever even suggest such a thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #8
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
@Kim - Well done to have found it! However, there are some issues, read on....

I had found the online version, but it's pretty obvious that it wasn't feasible to rip it.
Why not? It's as simple as marking the text and copying it into Sigil, Word, Writer ... any program that will retain at least part of the formatting. If you only want to read selected parts, that would not be unfeasible.

Of course you'll have to do a little formatting by hand - the small numbers before some of line is rather irritating, but can be done (I've made something similar in my edition of Eugen Onegin), but that will not be any different, if you get the text out of a pdf.

Either way, I don't think you'll be able to achieve, what you want, without a little handworking

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Why not? It's as simple as marking the text and copying it into Sigil, Word, Writer ... any program that will retain at least part of the formatting. If you only want to read selected parts, that would not be unfeasible.

Of course you'll have to do a little formatting by hand - the small numbers before some of line is rather irritating, but can be done (I've made something similar in my edition of Eugen Onegin), but that will not be any different, if you get the text out of a pdf.

Either way, I don't think you'll be able to achieve, what you want, without a little handworking

Regards,

Kim
I'll check out the link for Eugen Onegin later today - interesting!

But I will not rip the Bible in this manner; for a book of couple of hundred pages, maybe. These types of projects always turn out more complex than you first think. For the Bible - it's thousands of pages + all the formatting would be lost.

I am really a geek for this kind of stuff, but I draw the line at manual page copying of the entire bible.

I am quite happy to pay for retail, but as it stands, the only digital copy, is on a CD, on the other side of the North Sea and will not be shipped to me until the end of Swedish holiday period when I'll be busy with other things.

So it lookd likr I'll have no choice but to quench my thirst for God's word with the alternative modern version "Folkbibeln" or an English version for the time being....
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post

Regards,

Kim

Actually, you were right! The HTML can be copied! I took it absolutely for granted that they would put in better protection that this!

It turns out that I can copy book-by-book. There are 66 books in the bible (or however many more after SvK added apocrypha just to really annoy the traditional Lutheran believers)

So I simply need to do a cut & paste 66 times into Word. Then convert to epub or PDF.

But there is one minor problem:

The verse numbers appear NORMAL size when they should be very small and raised (forgotten what's called). I can turn them off, which would solve the problem, but traditionally when reading the Bible, like most people, I am used to having verse numbers...

What do you think?

Here is a link to the Genesis in Bibel 2000. Bibel 2000: 1 Moseboken

I tried copying and pasting and I got everything right apart from the verse numbers which appeared normal size instead of raised.

Any way to get the verse numbers small, and raised?

And blimey, this bible is blasphemous. They start in the first paragraph by switching "The Holy Spirit" for "A wind from God".

Last edited by martienne; 07-14-2014 at 03:14 PM.