Notices

View Poll Results: Kindle 3G white as wedding anniversary gift
Yes 60 89.55%
No 7 10.45%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #31
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
The problem is that you know your wife and we don't. So we can't give you rock solid advice.

I think it's always a mistake to think of "men" and "women" in generic terms when looking for presents. Some men are enthused by embroidery; some women by car engines.

FWIW I am a woman and I am always being given flowers or chocolates because they are thought to be suitable gifts for a woman. And I hate being given either, particularly flowers. My nearest and dearest know that, but there are some more distant contacts who give me flowers every year. I grit my teeth and gush over the "lovely flowers" and I just wish I could find a way of stopping it without hurting their feelings.

Since your wife has expressed a desire for a kindle, I think you're fairly safe giving her one. I imagine you two have a few private rituals you can call on to make it more personal.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #32
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Lot of useful and great comments! Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I think I will get one for her. Now, debating if buying it on Amazon or Target. I bought mine on Best Buy long time ago.

@ProfCrash
There are a lot of nice Aston Martins in Toys R Us, lol ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #33
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
If you don't want to give it to her for the anniversary then just buy it for her as a "I love you" gift. Leave it on her car seat one day when she's going to work or where ever. I promise it will mean more to her that way anyhow. Women love that kind of stuff.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #34
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
If you don't want to give it to her for the anniversary then just buy it for her as a "I love you" gift. Leave it on her car seat one day when she's going to work or where ever. I promise it will mean more to her that way anyhow. Women love that kind of stuff.
That's a great tip, thanks ...
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Lot of useful and great comments! Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I think I will get one for her. Now, debating if buying it on Amazon or Target. I bought mine on Best Buy long time ago.

@ProfCrash
There are a lot of nice Aston Martins in Toys R Us, lol ...
I would definitely suggest Amazon. Their customer service is fantastic, and the Kindle is their baby.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #36
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think we all love random gifts. (winks)

And yes, I suspect that I will be getting a Match Box version of the various cars on Top Gear I have suggested as birthday gifts.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #37
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Oh I must be the only guy who gets in trouble for giving electronic gifts :P

I personally think that a Kindle would be a lovely gift. I was actually thinking about it a little more earlier today, and if I was in the OPs position I'd consider getting one of those nice Oberon covers (let her choose) just to make it a little different.
oh, it's not that. i just think that if let's say my future husband/bf would give me a gift i did not like and he "got in trouble" (like what kind of trouble? o_O) for it, i'd definitely feel guilty about it afterwards and think of myself as ungrateful and rude.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #38
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
oh, it's not that. i just think that if let's say my future husband/bf would give me a gift i did not like and he "got in trouble" (like what kind of trouble? o_O) for it, i'd definitely feel guilty about it afterwards and think of myself as ungrateful and rude.
i guess it depends how you go about it. i hate flowers, stuffed animals and cards (im a cheap valentines date lol) and my husband knows not to get me any of those. i wouldnt yell at him but i would be a bit upset if he wasted our money on things he knows i dont want.

i will act grateful for gifts that other people give me no matter how much i hate it but hes my husband, what would i gain from not telling him the truth?
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #39
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Combine the Kindle with flowers and a mushy card and you've got it covered!

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #40
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

really???
Yes, really. I won't derail your lovely thread with the details, I'll only say that I'm glad that there are men who appreciate women who read, and I hope I find one.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #41
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Yes, really. I won't derail your lovely thread with the details, I'll only say that I'm glad that there are men who appreciate women who read, and I hope I find one.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
My husband doesn't read but he is fine with my reading. He does not seem to get wife sitting in chair reading book is not a good time to have a conversation.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #43
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
My husband doesn't read but he is fine with my reading. He does not seem to get wife sitting in chair reading book is not a good time to have a conversation.
Good point!

I try to read while she's out or still at work (I usually leave work earlier) so we can have a conversation .... .. or (a tip) I buy a Magazine so we both can read together. Problem is, I need to buy couple of Magazines, so she can be busy for a while,

Weekends usually we both visit B&N and I bring my Kindle there. She read a lot of Magazines while we're there (or buy a few) I guess that's another reason for her to ask for a Kindle 3G. And she looovesss their coffee ... so that's another way to keep her motivation up!

I must say I feel weird using a Kindle in B&N, lol ... but is a nice place to read anyway.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #44
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

If she likes magazines wouldn't a Nook Color be better for her?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #45
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If she likes magazines wouldn't a Nook Color be better for her?
We did not like it :-) ... that's why I returned it. But she uses my iPad 2 occasionally.

We visited B&N last week, and she found the Nook Touch too small and light ... she likes my Kindle though and that's why she mentioned getting one of her own but white!

Hmm... white comes 3G only, mine is wifi, I wonder if the "white" petition is just a bait, in order to get the 3G one, hahaha...

sighs... women, women, women ... lol ...