Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #16
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I doubt if it would be listed under the same name, and after the last time, I expect that Amazon would make the FCC put it somewhere less ... public than where it was before.
True true. So let's try to find the new listing via http://search.fcc.gov/

Btw, if you look at the manuals,

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=28

the photos of the device are in a rather bad quality. Perhaps one more sign that it's just a dummy or template.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I agree that it's a dummy. It's made of that prototype plastic. It'll be interesting to see what the final product looks like. I think it'll be matte black with a variety of cool cases to customize it, though I wouldn't rule out some kind of brushed silver surface.

I never used to write in my books, but I've been re-reading Paolini's Eldest on my iLiad and making margin notes, and it's addictive. The idea that I can write on the book AND keep it pristine at the same time (by deleting the notes or restoring to an unmarked version or whatever) is very attractive. Now I just want a better tool that will let me search for and organize the notes, e.g. dotReader.

The sheer marketing power of Amazon will contribute to the success of this product, even if it does come out looking as fugly as the picture. US$400 seems like a lot for a reader, but if that price includes some kind of subscription to the Amazon content, look out. I'm happy with my iLiad, but a lot of people would take a reader that just gave you a choice of nearly everything in the Amazon catalog. (Yes, today there are not ebook versions of everything in the Amazon catalog, but look at the "make this book an ebook" link on each entry at Amazon, and I think you can see that Amazon is interested in turning up the pressure on publishers to provide digital versions of their works.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #18
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe it's time to officially open doors for a Amazon Kindle forum section? I am sure there'll be more talk about it soon...
Old 04-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #19
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Maybe it's time to officially open doors for a Amazon Kindle forum section? I am sure there'll be more talk about it soon...
Well, we don't even know yet how it looks...
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Good idea!

Hey! Amazon...talk to us...you could find good friends here!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
True true. So let's try to find the new listing via http://search.fcc.gov/
Speaking of fugly, that search portal is slower than day old gravy.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
The sheer marketing power of Amazon will contribute to the success of this product, even if it does come out looking as fugly as the picture. US$400 seems like a lot for a reader, but if that price includes some kind of subscription to the Amazon content, look out.
Just as long as you have access to that content once the subscription lapses. If a lost subscription means lost content, F-- it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #23
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
400$ is too much for an ebook reader.
You can get a new low end laptop for around 600$.
Most people who've seen me reading on my SONY liked the idea but thought the price was too high... I have to agree with them.
An avergae person does not spend 400$ on books in a year, not even in 2 years...
books are not like music, an ebook reader won't become a fashion item like an iPod...
I think manufacturers in this price range should go after specialized markets e.g. try to replace college textbooks

--- just my two cents worth
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:20 AM   #24
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Isn't the files submitted to the FCC the way these pictures were leaked? If there is still talk about this product, it must have passed the FCC regs.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:19 AM   #25
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef
Isn't the files submitted to the FCC the way these pictures were leaked? If there is still talk about this product, it must have passed the FCC regs.
Agreed and this is why I think the details should be somewhere burried in the FCC page. Alas, the FCC search function is wretched (as Nat correctly pointed out).