Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Kobo in Borders Australia on sale NOW

just saw this on their website
http://www.borders.com.au/ereader

so you can place online orders now

but here is something else that made me laugh.... I wonder what drugs they are on

check out the price for the Sony touch
http://www.borders.com.au/book/sony-...ilver/7341335/
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post

but here is something else that made me laugh.... I wonder what drugs they are on

Surely the quoted price is an error

then again looking at the prices of the limited range of e-books, perhaps not.

Last edited by sianon; 05-18-2010 at 04:55 PM.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post

so you can place online orders now

Anyone know the price of shipping? I'm not willing to create *another* account for an online store just to see the price of shipping.

I am really surprised they are selling the Sony Touch. Who supports it? Borders Australia then send it overseas to get repaired/replaced from the manufacturer, or does Sony make an exception for Borders and will support the ereaders for them here in Australia?

Be nice if they sold covers for the Kobo, I'd be inclined to think about buying one for that price.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Oh oh oh! Three of my books are on the Borders Oz list! Good prices, too: free (first one) and $1.95. Does happydance.

The Borders NZ site hasn't yet been updated, but they've said in media releases that they'll start stocking e-books this month. And if they stock the Kobo reader at a similar price to the Aus. one, I might just get one as my birthday present :-)

Last edited by Shayne Parkinson; 05-18-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Is the new borders site active yet?

I am seeing little in the way of ebooks and those being priced at $201.95 so there is a glitch somewhere
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post

I am seeing little in the way of ebooks and those being priced at $201.95 so there is a glitch somewhere
It's certainly working for me.

I'm seeing some sensible prices - $5 or $6 for older back-catalog books - mixed with stupid $20+ prices for more recent books. The range isn't great yet, but I'm sure it will improve.
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Yes, here. I agree, though, all those $201.95 books suggest they have a few bugs to sort out!

They don't seem to have implemented categories (beyond the very broadest) yet, but you can search by title/author/etc.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:

hahah yea I just saw that... that price problem just happened ..

a couple of hours ago they had prices ranging from $1.99 to $22

But then again, this is Borders, they are not really known for being reasonable in their pricing.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hmm, the book prices are as usual in Australia over the top. Doubt I'd be buying much from them.

On my way to Borders now (soonish) to check out the Kobo.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
Oh oh oh! Three of my books are on the Borders Oz list! Good prices, too: free (first one) and $1.95. Does happydance.

The Borders NZ site hasn't yet been updated, but they've said in media releases that they'll start stocking e-books this month. And if they stock the Kobo reader at a similar price to the Aus. one, I might just get one as my birthday present :-)
Apparently Whitcoulls are opening an ebook store on the 27th of May, and will (supposedly) be selling the Kobo reader. They are teaming up with Kobo to provide the store.

Here's a page from the Whitcoulls site. There's also been some press releases about it.

(I believe Whitcoulls and Borders are owned by the same company here in NZ, so Borders NZ may also have an ebook store coming...)
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Apparently Whitcoulls are opening an ebook store on the 27th of May, and will (supposedly) be selling the Kobo reader. They are teaming up with Kobo to provide the store.

Here's a page from the Whitcoulls site. There's also been some press releases about it.

(I believe Whitcoulls and Borders are owned by the same company here in NZ, so Borders NZ may also have an ebook store coming...)
Kia ora! Nice to see another Kiwi here.

Thanks for that - I'd heard "May 2010", but not which end of the month! Yes, I believe Whitcoulls and Borders (Oz and NZ) are all owned by REDgroup, and they'll all be stocking Kobo readers and e-books.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
This morning, my local Borders (Melbourne Highpoint) has a display stand with a heap of Kobos in both black and white. It seems like a good basic reader at a good basic price ($199AUD). If I didn't already have my Sony I would seriously consider buying one.

Last edited by RCR; 05-18-2010 at 11:46 PM.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I just let my wife know I will be buying her a white Kobo after our we get back from our holidays. To say she is excited to be getting a ereader to replace her PDA is an understatement!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
This morning, my local Borders (Melbourne Highpoint) has a display stand with a heap of Kobos in both black and white. It seems like a good basic reader at a good basic price ($199AUD). If I didn't already have my Sony I would seriously consider buying one.
In your opinion which looked more pleasing, the black or the white? I find it interesting that Kobo seem to only really show pictures of the white, is this the better looking unit, or would they be trying to keep the same colour scheme as the Kindle and iRiver?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Re the Sony Touch price of $807.95: they're probably just trying to make up the cost of all those $25 gift cards they're giving to people in the US who ordered it at the erroneous $100 price and had their orders canceled by Borders - LOL.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote