Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Post New reader, needs CPU and cloud sync

Hi!
I've been using an iPad 1 and the Kindle DX.

The Kindle is great for all stuff except three issues:
  1. Large, scanned PDFs (non-text, just image) scans of A4/Letter sized paper, scanned book pages etc. This does not seem to work well. It's waaay too slow. I assume it's the CPU
  2. I like to read at night, but the extra external lamp is not very nice
  3. I like to be able to access notes and highlights in addition to having my read status synced. With Kindle books, this works nicely. With "Personal Content", as in "all other books", I'm not able to access the highlights and notes in a sensible way later

The iPad is great, but I'm mainly using it for reading, so I was thinking my wife could get the pad and I could get something else just for reading.

The Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Glo seems to be alternatives, but the Kobo device does not seem to handle my syncing requirements, ref. this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197561

But will any of the devices handle reading the PDFs? Like in GoodReader/PDF Expert on the iPad, I zoom in, then just click the right border to jump to next part or page. Works like a charm.
Will I need to get one of the Android or iOS tablets to get this to work, or does any of the eInk based readers handle this well?

In readers like Bookeen Odyssey and others, is there a way of fetching highlights and notes, sync them to something or just store then outside the device(s)?

Other features, like text-to-speech, is nice, but not too important to me.

So, what say ye? What do you recommend?
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
flips01
Connoisseur

The Sony PRST2 seems to actually use Evernote. But I guess it lacks the frontside light ...
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
flips01
Connoisseur

Neither Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo nor Bookeen Odyssey HD Frontlight seems to have audio anymore. And I just started to like the text-to-speech of my Kindle DX, I guess I should wait selling that one ...
And Kindle seems to be the only one with cloud sync of personal content and notes/highlights etc (even though fetching notes etc. from personal content is just as awkward/as a hack as on Kobo Glo).
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I don't know anything about the Bookeen (maybe ask your specific query about it in the Bookeen forum) but it's generally pretty much accepted that none of the standard 6" ereaders are that great for PDFs (the screen is just too small), and so you'd be better sticking with a tablet for them.

As you've discovered, none of the latest e-readers have audio (that also includes the Sony PRS-T2). The T2 does have Evernote so it's possibly the best for notes, but it has no light. Not sure there is going to be much difference between the Glo and the Paperwhite in that respect (it's not a feature I use so don't pay much attention to that aspect). The Kindle is definitely the best for syncing content.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #5
flips01
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
(...) but it's generally pretty much accepted that none of the standard 6" ereaders are that great for PDFs (the screen is just too small), and so you'd be better sticking with a tablet for them.
With a reader like the original iPad, resolution 1024x768 in landscape, and software like GoodReader or PDF Expert, it zooms well, and tapping to either skip to the next half of the (scanned) page or to the next page in the PDF, it works really well.
On the Kindle DX, it works, (even if it's is a little more clumsy). But the main problem seems to be lack of CPU power, as it takes too long to skip to the next part of the page.

I guess I should try to find a store with Kobo/Bookeen and check out how it pans/zooms images/PDFs ...
Advert
Old 12-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
flips01
Connoisseur

Does anyone here know if the Onyx Boox M92 handle scanned/image based letter/A4 sized PDF pages pretty well?

(There seems to be a consensus that 9,7" tablet, preferably 4:3 aspect ration, is the way to go. But Onyx claims to have almost tablet performance ...)