Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Prison time for downloading?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19767970

All laws are weird but It seems a bit harsh to throw someone in jail for reading a book.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19767970

All laws are weird but It seems a bit harsh to throw someone in jail for reading a book.
Another Daft law...Will chime in if I hear any news of it in this section of Japan.

h...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
That's waaay over the top. It's downright Draconian. Downloading a file is a slap on the wrist offense at worst.

I'm against pirating, but really only if it de-motivates creative people from providing the array of books, tv shows, movies, apps, and other content I enjoy. Being something of a media junkie, I'm selfishly in favor of whatever keeps the most content coming. But it's not clear to me that illegal downloading actually leads to diminished content creation. In fact, you could argue the opposite in many cases.

There's no way jail time or a large fine is an appropriate punishment for a couple of mouse clicks, if it's for personal use. A small fine or loss of internet for a time, maybe, though I'm far from sold on that either. Actual piracy, that involves selling content you have no right to sell, i.e. selling burned CDs on the street corner, is of course another matter entirely. I'm fine with jail time for that.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Japanese tax payers must be dancing in the streets at the thought of paying for all those millions of extra prison places they'll need. I can see America copying the idea though, they run their prisons at a profit.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
That's waaay over the top. It's downright Draconian. Downloading a file is a slap on the wrist offense at worst.
While I agree with you that this is truly draconian, I must respectfully disagree with you that "a slap on the wrist" is sufficient. A fine needs to be large enough to be a serious disincentive to commit the offence in the first place. My local subway system fines you 50x the price of a ticket if you're caught travelling without one, and that seems to me to be of the right order of magnitude to discourage it - say a $500 for downloading an item with a $10 retail value.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I can see America copying the idea though, they run their prisons at a profit.
I wish.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Sounds more like the anime industry and Haim Saban are trying to crack down on fansubbing. I'm sorta dreading the effect it'll have on the anime DVD industry, though, because we're not likely to get decent shows over here anymore without fansubbers keeping various interest groups active. And then there's the probability that what does come over will be horribly chopped up to meet US network censorship requirements, which are stupidly high compared to anywhere else in the world.

(cue rant on violence vs. sex in American TV and movies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I can see America copying the idea though, they run their prisons at a profit.
That explains why various groups keep talking about the government building concentration camp- style facilities. Does anyone else remember the bill that would've made it a felony to violate any website's terms of use? It was rejected out of concerns that it would've opened the door for businesses to privatize the writing of laws without the need to go through the motions required by the Constitution.

An ancient Chinese curse says, "May you live in interesting times." Methinks our times fit that description very well.

Last edited by teh603; 10-01-2012 at 12:37 PM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Sounds more like the anime industry and Haim Saban are trying to crack down on fansubbing. I'm sorta dreading the effect it'll have on the anime DVD industry, though, because we're not likely to get decent shows over here anymore without fansubbers keeping various interest groups active.
If by "fansubbing" you mean the internet distribution of subtitled programmes, that sounds awfully like copyright infringement to me. Is it done with the copyright holder's permission?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
While I agree with you that this is truly draconian, I must respectfully disagree with you that "a slap on the wrist" is sufficient. A fine needs to be large enough to be a serious disincentive to commit the offence in the first place. My local subway system fines you 50x the price of a ticket if you're caught travelling without one, and that seems to me to be of the right order of magnitude to discourage it - say a $500 for downloading an item with a $10 retail value.
Well, there was a time when having the wrong book meant you were burned at the stake.

It was a pretty good disincentive. No one ever repeated their crime.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If by "fansubbing" you mean the internet distribution of subtitled programmes, that sounds awfully like copyright infringement to me. Is it done with the copyright holder's permission?
fansubbing means creating and distributing subtitled programmes, taking (normally) Japanese anime and creating an English subbed version of it. (And - no)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
fansubbing means creating and distributing subtitled programmes, taking (normally) Japanese anime and creating an English subbed version of it. (And - no)
Yes - adding subtitles to a copyrighted work, and uploading it to the internet. One can hardly blame the copyright holder for wishing to prevent this, can one? It's piracy, pure and simple. (Although it doesn't merit a prison sentence, IMHO.)
Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Difficult to demonstrate loss though, as there are no official products for the fansubs to compete with.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Is enforced seppuku not an option these days? If so it should be brought back forthwith!
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
@HarryT
Fansubbing appeals to a limited segment of society. Yes, it is piracy if using a strict definition. But since no one else is offering these shows to people who want to watch it, there is no real economical loss to the copyright holder. The shows I have looked at has all been horrible in their translation, so I turned it off in less than 10 minutes.
@Belfaborac
Seppuku to be truly efficient should be a voluntary act, enacted in front of your peers and superiors. In those cases were seppuku was ordered by superiors there was always doubts as to their true motivation for the act.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
At least they'll have something to read to pass the time in gaol.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote