Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
jstabe
Enthusiast
jstabe began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Help deciding between calibre or calibre companion

I've been using Kindle for PC apps to read my ebooks for quite awhile now and I like it. Recently, I got a galaxy tab 2 and it comes with a Kindle app pre-installed. I like it, but you can't organize. That's not really a problem since I already have calibre on my PC.

However, I don't know if I should purchase the calibre app or the calibre companion app. I like having the metadata available when I go to choose a book and my calibre is neatly organized the way I want it. But it looks like I would have to have calibre up and running on my PC and connected to the internet in order to have either of the calibre apps access my library. That's not convenient if I'm at school and want something new to read. Am I misunderstanding something?

Maybe there's a better option than calibre and Kindle. I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks for any help you can give me!
jstabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
At this time you run Calibre as a server and Calibre Companion as a client. The developers have been talkin about adding pull capabilities for the client.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
jstabe
Enthusiast

Hmm. The app has really good reviews so maybe I should go ahead and give it a try.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstabe View Post
Hmm. The app has really good reviews so maybe I should go ahead and give it a try.

Thanks!
I'm not currently using either, but in case you weren't aware, Calibre Companion has been developed by one of the main Calibre developers and his son. So it's likely to stay closely aligned ...
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
jstabe
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not currently using either, but in case you weren't aware, Calibre Companion has been developed by one of the main Calibre developers and his son. So it's likely to stay closely aligned ...
I didn't know that. That's definitely a plus. Thanks!
Advert