Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
All my books are gone. Rooting at fault? (solved)

Since I rooted my Fire I've been pretty happy, but I've noticed one nasty problem. Twice now all the books have disappeared from my Fire. The book shelves under both Cloud and Device are empty. The first time this happened I thought it was just a fluke and reset the Fire. Now it's just happened again.

Is this a known problem with a solution? I tried closing the Kindle app, clearing the cache and data, and hitting sync repeatedly, with no effect.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, but it's not something I can live with. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by carld; 08-13-2012 at 07:54 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Interesting another user on the Android forum posted the same problem.

Kindle app deleting books on Sony Tablet S

BTW I have no clue what the issue is.

Last edited by =X=; 08-14-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Broken link
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Turns out rooting was sort of at fault. I found this post at XDA-Developers:

Quote:
Do you have the Google Play Store installed? If so make sure you didn't install the kindle app from there.

If you did, you can remove it by going to My Apps in the play store selecting the Kindle app and choosing to uninstall updates.
Sure enough. I opened Google Play, selected the Kindle App and saw that it had "Automatically Update" checked. I unchecked that, and hit uninstall. That uninstalled Goggle Play's update and in a few seconds all my books started to reappear.

It looks like they're either mostly or entirely back.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Turns out rooting was sort of at fault. I found this post at XDA-Developers:

Sure enough. I opened Google Play, selected the Kindle App and saw that it had "Automatically Update" checked. I unchecked that, and hit uninstall. That uninstalled Goggle Play's update and in a few seconds all my books started to reappear.

It looks like they're either mostly or entirely back.
Hi,
I'm the one "=X" referred to. Same (Kindle app deleting my books) happened to me twice.
On Sony Tablet S, no root.
I hope, your solution works out for you. But as we've got the same issue, root (respectively the source of the Kindle app) might not be the problem.
Strange thing: So far, this only has happened on Sony Tablet S. Not on Sony Tablet P or any other of my tablets. "Out of Memory" and all the other usual explanations don't apply to my Sony Tablet S.
Well, let's hope it doesn't happen again...

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-14-2012 at 01:11 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
carld
Wizard

I would guess it's the same problem, but from a different cause. I'm not familiar with the Sony Tablet S at all, so I can't really say much about it.
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Turns out rooting was sort of at fault.
To say rooting was at fault is like saying driving is at fault for flat tires or marriage is at fault for divorce....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
To say rooting was at fault is like saying driving is at fault for flat tires or marriage is at fault for divorce....
/shrug

That's why I said "sort of." I originally cited rooting as the potential source of the problem because that's all I've done to my Fire, and so that was what came to mind.