Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #16
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Now that I figured out generating the darn thing , is there a way to enter it into Calibre and have the program remember that information, or am I re-entering it each time?
Enter once and forget it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Enter once and forget it.
And sure enough, that works. I think I'm at the "must get sleep soon" point of (lack of) brain function.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #18
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
The term "aggregator" just means Google Books, or Amazon or ISBNDB, etc. where this type of info is stored for lots of books.
That makes sense. Kovid must have used the term to deflect me from the my issue with the absence of metadata from online publishers thinking I was expecting calibre to search publishers sites for metadata. The only issue I have is with the publishers not submitting their data to ISBNDB. At least that is what I presumed until I went to the site.

From ISBNDB.com/faq.html

"ISBNdb.com gets the data in a unique way - it scans libraries all across the world for book information. The scanning is random and similar in a way to how general purpose web search engines scan web sites. "

Now I know why the data for books only published in electronic form is missing if it isn't sold on Amazon.
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #19
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I didn't realize it searched 5 sites, either. After all, at the top of the metadata page it says "calibre can find metadata for your books from two locations: Google Books and isbndb.com." One of the plug-ins, for Douban books, is apparently for books in Chinese, as I found when I enabled it. I disabled it after finding this out as I can not read, write or speak the language/s.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

Now if only there was an online database for ebooks a plug-in could be written to access it right? That's my "Field of Dreams".
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #21
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
Now if only there was an online database for ebooks a plug-in could be written to access it right? That's my "Field of Dreams".
That indeed would be nice. Maybe Kovid could work on this in his spare time.

We just need some sort of Web crawler that would search the Internet and gather up data for all of the eBooks out there in space, including, of course, the ones formatted here by MobileRead members.... Perhaps relatively simple for someone who knows how to program such a thing. That would not be me, though. Sigh.

Holly
Old 10-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #22
bigpallooka
Connoisseur

I think it is safe to say the content from online ebook only publishers has limited appeal or more precisely, specific appeal rather than general and therefore may not be a source that inspires the extra work from anyone capable enough to accomplish anything useful.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #23
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpallooka View Post
I think it is safe to say the content from online ebook only publishers has limited appeal or more precisely, specific appeal rather than general and therefore may not be a source that inspires the extra work from anyone capable enough to accomplish anything useful.
Indeed - but one can only hope!

Holly