Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #91
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Install Mobipocket Reader.
Register your PID with overdrive (the library software).
Download the books.
Search the forum for how to transfer DRM'd Mobi files to the Sony Reader.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #92
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Install Mobipocket Reader.
Register your PID with overdrive (the library software).
Download the books.
Search the forum for how to transfer DRM'd Mobi files to the Sony Reader.
I could do that if the library files were DRMfree - which they are not. thanks anyway
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #93
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Is your objection technical, or ethical? Note, I am not trying to persuade you to do anything you feel is unethical. If your objection is simply technical, though, you should search the forum on the topic.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #94
aliencane
Enthusiast
aliencane is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
For some reason my DC library account stated my privileges had expired (and I've only had it less than 2 months) so I called and they renewed it for me, even after telling the live person I don't live there and I applied online. She said it will expire in three years now that she manually renewed it.
My DCPL account privileges(non-resident) were expired after about 30 days. When I called them, I was told the could not re-activate the account over the phone. I would have to come there in person. Since I live 1,000 miles away, that is not an option. So, my DCPL card is dead. I will guess that when they made the library card application available on the web, they failed to notice that they did not provide a method, or instructions, for submitting the non-resident payment.

However, I just sent a check to the NYPL. They appear to have a better selection of books, so I'm still happy.
aliencane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #95
aliencane
Enthusiast
aliencane is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, iPad
If anyone has a Fairfax County PL account, please contact me by PM. I have a couple of questions about NetLibrary.
aliencane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #96
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
My wife and I each have a 505, and I have made the following "discovery" about sharing library books:

We have installed Adobe Digital Editions onto each computer, and activated both computers and both 505's with the same Adobe ID.

If either of us goes to the library and checks out a book, it is assigned to the computer that checked it out. If I try to follow the ADE directions for copying files to other computers the book appears in the library, but when I try to read it on the second computer, I get a message that says there is no borrowing record, and it will not open.

However, if I connect each reader (one at a time) to the computer that did check out the book, I can copy the book to both readers.
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #97
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
Wanted to give a great big thanks for all those posting! I just recently got my NYPL card, and feel it's worth every penny. My cc was taking a beating there for awhile, and now with the economy in the dumps, just wanted to find something a bit more economical. I only wish I had gotten a public library card in the various places I have lived!
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:53 AM   #98
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
If you enjoy audio books, the NYPL has a large selection. In addition to their own impressive collection, you can also access many of the selections offered by Recorded Books, which are always unabridged. You need to go to the "Digital Collections" link, then the "NetLibrary Audiobooks" link. You'll need a separate free registration for the NetLibrary audiobooks.

A note of caution - the NetLibrary audiobooks are downloaded as a single, large file rather than the multiple smaller files (about an hour each) from NYPL. Thus, you'll want to use a player that "remembers" where you were and starts playing where you left off, or you'll have a LOT of fast forwarding to do.

Enjoy!
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:10 AM   #99
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
SteveK--

Thanks for the info on NetLibrary! I have a NYPL card--paid $100 non-resident annual fee last August and have certainly got my money's worth! I both read books and listen to audio books a lot. I've downloaded several of their overdrive audiobook titles but didn't know about the NetLibrary books.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #100
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Dordale - You're quite welcome. I don't remember how I discovered this; I was probably just experimenting with the various links one day.

The NetLibrary files are a bit different than the regular audiobook files. As I mentioned above, they consist only of one large file rather than several smaller ones. Also, after you download them, you need to open the file in Windows Media Player, to activate it by putting in your user name/password. You then have EXACTLY 21 days to listen to your file - it seems to have it down to the minute. I believe you can also renew your file without downloading it again, although of course you'd have to re-transfer the re-licensed file to your portable player.

They have several thousand audiobooks available, and they also have approximately 75 lectures on various academic subjects. Overall, it's a very good resource even if it's not quite as convenient as the regular NYPL selections.

Hope you enjoy this additional source of audiobooks.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #101
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
SteveK--

I'm sure I will, once I get them to work! I tried downloading one of the NetLibrary files last night, but couldn't get it authorized to play on my computer. When I tried to play it in WMP, it'd ask me to log in, and after I did, it'd give me a message that there was a problem authorizing the file.

Tried many different things on my end before finally giving up. Figure it might be a problem on their end, so I'll try again later on today when I have a little while to mess with it.

I'll get it to work eventually--I'm very stubborn about things like this!

Again-thanks for the info!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #102
winkler
winkler began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0
library acquisitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
I don't even think libraries own most of their popular fiction. Think about a Stephen King, DaSilva, Nora Roberts.... A small library may only want to own 2-3 copies of any popular fiction for the long term, but need 30 copies during the peak demand period when a book after the book is released. The solution is to rent 27 copies, not own them, and send them back when the peak demand begins to subside. If I'm not mistaken, I think there are some publishers that may even show a book as a library edition on the copyright page.
This is a very minor thing for me to bring up (and months late), but I spent a long time in collection development at a few different libraries, so I'm a bit obsessive:

Libraries (at least in the U.S.) actually buy all of those 30 copies of the new John Grisham paperback. Half of them end up destroyed or lost, and then the library deaccessions a few of the rest (often selling them for 25 cents or even just chucking them in a recycling bin) when they aren't circulating very much any more. Deciding how many copies of new bestsellers to buy is a perennial library controversy. Some libraries blow most of their budget on them and have huge turnover in their collections, some deliberately underbuy because they feel they can't afford things that no one will want to look at in 5 years.

Also, a library edition is usually an edition of a book made more sturdy one way or another, so it doesn't wind up like those unfortunate destroyed copies of a John Grisham paperback. Often this is a book that's out only in paperback for consumers, but that has a hardback edition that goes to libraries (and usually costs a ton more than the paperback, more even than a regular hardback). Occasionally there are other differences -- weird abridgments, books without the CD that comes with the bookstore version, things like that.
winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #103
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Just thought I'd mention that the Cleveland Public Library is now "stocking" ebooks in the EPUB format. They are plugged as being "Sony Reader-compatible ebooks."
http://emedia.clevnet.org/

They are the first library to have ebooks available in the EPUB format (no doubt because Overdrive is based in Cleveland).
http://www.overdrive.com/aboutus/get...cleID=20090115
http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6631357.html
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...520.xml&coll=2

According to the PR, Overdrive expects to have "nearly every frontlist title from major publishers in EPUB, as they are—or soon will be—doing simultaneous release." Also, it looks like the NY and Chicago Public Libraries will be getting EPUB ebooks in the coming months, also.

My wallet thanks Amazon for not including Adobe Digital Editions and EPUB support in the kindle2. I cannot give up getting free ebooks from the library. Who would've thought that Sony would be producing a more open/compatible ebook reader than Amazon?

Library + Sony Reader = fantastic bargain
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #104
Bski
Bski began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook
updated to digital editions 1.7 and can't open borrowed books

I just borrowed my first ebook from the DC library about 3 weeks ago. when i tried a few days ago to borrow another title, i was prompted to upgrade my digital editions to 1.7 and now i get the message "cant open borrowed books" when i try to import my newly borrowed book. has anyone had this problem and how can i fix it? any help is appreciated!
Bski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #105
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I've had ADE 1.7 since last week and have not had any problems downloading and transferring borrowed books.

Try to uninstall ADE then re-install. Not sure if you will have to re-register or can still use same login information.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote