Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Sending ebooks to Kindle via Email - Very Slow

Since purchasing a second Kindle recently (a Paperwhite) and having the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone, I've discovered the "send to device via email function".

Tonight I've had the chance to sit at the computer and to experiment with it.

I'm using a Gmail account and have Calibre automatically set it up in the preferences section.

It works, but it's slow. I emailed one MOBI book to all 3 devices. Each one took nearly 5 minutes to be transfered according to the job list.

Is this normal? The book isn't all that big, about 500 kilobytes or so.

When I tried it with another book using Outlook and sending the book as an attachment it went with the usual speed that Outlook operates at when sending similar sized attachments. ie. under a minute for all 3 copies to be sent.
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
I'm using a Gmail account and have Calibre automatically set it up in the preferences section.

It works, but it's slow. I emailed one MOBI book to all 3 devices. Each one took nearly 5 minutes to be transfered according to the job list.

Is this normal?
Yes this is normal there is a 300 second delay between sending each book to avoid any spam detection by gmail. You can change that delay by going to Preferences - Tweaks and changing the The number of seconds to wait before sending emails tweak. I have mine set to 30 seconds, but rarely use the feature.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not the delay between each book, but rather, the time taken for EACH book to be sent.

Right now I'm sending one. 5 minutes running time have elapsed according to Calibre. One book took 7 minutes to send.

Running time for this book, 10m 50s...

The book size is 2048KB (2 megs), so it's not a small file, I s'pose.

I might reconfigure Calibre to send it via my ISP's email service, rather than via Calibre. I'll just have to add my personal address to the accepted addresses list in Amazon (Manage My Kindle).
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
mact
mact began at the beginning.

Device: android
can you not connect to the library server via wifi with a file manager?

I find that faster than using the calibre library android app. One good android file manager is Ghost commander and another is x-plore. Dunno if Kindle can use Android Play Store, but one or the other should be on the amazon app store. free or very cheap.
mact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
mjt57
Connoisseur

I'm using Calibre on a Windows PC. My readers are the Kindle PPW, iPad and iPhone apps.

Anyway, I was doing this over my laptop with a mobile connection, which isn't all that fast. I tested it on my PC which has a fast ADSL2+ connection. The ebook was sent in about 30 seconds.

Can't work out though, why there is a 5 minute discrepancy between the two. The mobile connection isn't that slow, as Outlook can send emails with attachments, Dropbox receives files and so on with no noticable delay.

Whatever, the problem isn't with Calibre. I was merely curious as to what others were experiencing.
Advert