Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
How many Cybook Gen3 models are there?

Does anybody know how many different readers have been called Gen3? I know (or I'm pretty sure) that the first Gen3 was basically a Netronix EB100 (larger case, SD card faced backwards). Later models were EB600 of various sorts.

This is something that Open Inkpot will need to know to build firmware that will work for everybody (or as many as possible).

Mine is labeled on the back as CYBGEN310B. "about" says 400MHz processor. It has 512MB flash, 32MB ram and 2MB boot rom. I think the only way to find out the last two is by opening it up. It's pretty easy if you're brave.

So what kind of Cybook Gen3 do you have? Extra details gratefully accepted...

Thanks - pholy

Last edited by pholy; 11-29-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Fixed flash size - the eSlick has 128MB
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Mine is CYBGEN310B too, but it says nothing about processor speed. I assume it's 200 MHz one. I bought it in February 2008.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
If i got this right,

first version, 200Mhz proc , 64M, 16MRam
second one, with 200Mhz proc, 512M , 16MRam
trid one, 400Mhz proc, 512M , 16M ram ?
and the last one, 400Mhz proc, 1G, 32 Ram

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not sure at all.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
If i got this right,

second one, with 200Mhz proc, 512M , 16MRam
trid one, 400Mhz proc, 512M , 16M ram ?
and the last one, 400Mhz proc, 1G, 32 Ram

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not sure at all.
I think the third one had 32M RAM. Otherwise it fits with my idea of things.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Does anybody know how many different readers have been called Gen3? I know (or I'm pretty sure) that the first Gen3 was basically a Netronix EB100 (larger case, SD card faced backwards). Later models were EB600 of various sorts.

This is something that Open Inkpot will need to know to build firmware that will work for everybody (or as many as possible).

Mine is labeled on the back as CYBGEN310B. "about" says 400MHz processor. It has 512MB flash, 32MB ram and 2MB boot rom. I think the only way to find out the last two is by opening it up. It's pretty easy if you're brave.

So what kind of Cybook Gen3 do you have? Extra details gratefully accepted...

Thanks - pholy

SHINY !

as far as I can tell I have the 2nd incarnation - 512mb
mine also says CYBGEN310B on the label, but also EB001A(P34) on barcode (don't know if that would be significant).
About
gives .... no info other than PID and the build which is version 1.0 (681).
not brave enough to delve within.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The serial number starts "EB100..." or "EB600..." according to whether it's the EB100/EB600 variant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yup, that's my Cybook.
Since eInk takes a second or two to switch pages anyway and one can prerender the next page, processor speed isn't so important. 64M is quite a lot of memory when it comes to programs, so I imagine the major problem Bookeen has is the 16MB RAM part, and that's the same for the first two models.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everybody!

One other problem Bookeen has is that the EB100 and EB600 models have different boot-loaders. This certainly complicates life for OI programmers (who don't have the details), and it may make the firmware update more difficult for Bookeen themselves. I have to look more closely at both boot-loaders.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The serial number starts "EB100..." or "EB600..." according to whether it's the EB100/EB600 variant.
mine definitely reads ... EB001 .... mmm
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Maybe you BoCyok is dislexic.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
That's normal that you read EB001 because it is it's real name not EB100, everyone make this common mistake, but the EB100 did not exist. The first netronix device was EB001.

All EB600 have at least 32MB and EB001 16MB of RAM and EB001 have 64MB or 512MB of NAND Flash, and EB600 512MB or 1GB of NAND Flash. The EB001 have a little (8MB?) NOR Flash that allow him to boot, but the EB600 does not have this. The Only NOR flash that we can found on the EB600 is related to the Apollo Display Chip
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
My mistake, but the important point is that it doesn't begin "EB600..." and therefore you, as I do, have an "old" Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My mistake, but the important point is that it doesn't begin "EB600..." and therefore you, as I do, have an "old" Gen3.
As have I.

@pholy:
Could you please inform us about your ambition on how to use that information?
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
pholy
Booklegger

I'm planning on working with the OI team to bring OI to EB600 variants like Cybook Gen3, eSlick Reader, and the other 'clones'. I think the eSlick, for example, uses an older board than the CYBGEN310B (third form), although it is certainly similar.
I'll try and get my pictures into the Wiki somewhere. Side by side, I hope, so they are easy to compare.
For starters, check out www.netronixinc.com/product_EBxxx.htm - where xxx can be 100, 500, 600, 610, 611, or 900. The regular site is http://www.netronixinc.com/product_e-book.htm. The choices are not clear.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
pholy
Booklegger

I guess the next question is "How many 16MB / 200 MHz Gen3s are out there, and how many 32 MB / 400 MHz ? Anybody know when they switched? They still haven't updated the specs on their web site.