Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #16
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
For epubs, I think all your images should be RGB (if they weren't already that originally). But I don't think changing from CMYK to RBG will provide significant space savings. Most of the savings will come at the compression level you save the jpegs at.

I use Photoshop extensively and I don't think you need to go above quality setting 40. You can even try 25-30 if you want to save even more space. If you're not sure, see what the output looks like viewed at actual size (100%) before committing to a quality setting.

Oh, and you should be using "Save for Web," if you're not already doing that. Using Save for Web instead of Save As will optimize your file for size.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 09-04-2013 at 07:47 AM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
*IF* your pictures are in black & white, sometimes converting to 256 greyscale before you convert and compress your jpeg can save a bit of file size. But sometimes not. Needs experimentation and comparison to see if it is worth trying.

There is a graphics compression utility called RIOT that lots of folks love, but for me, it couldn't beat the output from my trusty 10-year-old Paint Shop Pro.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire3001 View Post
Okay - I've had a go at unzipping the file and it turns out I was calculating the image sizes wrong, so they are too big. I need to get them all down to less than 50Kb each - any ideas about how to do this without making the quality terrible? The old images were all 150 DPI, but somehow manage to be less than 50Kb each.
Perhaps a program like this one might be of help.

PixResizer

It's freeware and is compatible with Windows 98/ME/NT/2*/XP/Vista/7/8
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
You can always use the Tools->Reports feature to list all the files in your epub and their sizes.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photo, sigil, size