Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Lit to Epub... Problem and can't fix?

So, first off, sorry, I tried searching but this forum has become monolithic and its hard to find things now
I had the problem that with the Sony Pocket Reader format selected, when I tried to convert certain Lit files to Epub, it would always insert a page break in between each line, and then not have the margins right, so I would get one line with one word on the next line and then a blank line after that. Also, my ereader would turn the page approx 2-3 times slower than normal. Clearly some issue with the file and the reader trying to output the flow. Anyhow.
I tried converting to other formats, LRF works, as does Mobi, but for some reason Epub doesnt like it. I even converted to RTF and then to Epub from that, but it has the same problem (and it took 4.5 minutes, which is 4.2 minutes longer than any conversion has ever taked
I assume this would be a problem of a poorly made LIT file? If so, is there any way I can clean it up or something to make it usuable?
Thanks for the help!
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you can use the debug option to look at the intermediate html generated from the lit file, clean that up and then convert that. the dbug option is found in the conversion dialog, bottom left.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Try enabling the preprocess option under structure detection. I think you mean hard line breaks are embedded in the file, not page breaks based on the description of the behavior. That option will try to fix some of those issues.

If that doesn't work create a bug with the file. I've been trying to test lately with a variety of lit files to try and improve preprocessing on mediocre/bad files, this sounds like it might be a useful example.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Hope I am not butting in.

I have been using the preprocess files option and it works surprisingly well on txt files.
With some lit and lrf it just keeps going until I get the message calibre worker process needs to quit or something like that.
Won't do anything to files with hard line breaks, (^l) but that I expect. And I have had no luck with preprocessing pdf but haven't tried any for a while.

I am actually quite impressed with the job it does on txt files though so thanks for all the hard work.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Glad it's working well with text, though in many cases text files work without the preprocess option, it's just dependent on the formatting. Works best with the single line paragraph option with text.

It should work pretty well for lit files too, including fixing hard line breaks, though there are some updates coming for that format. If there are lit files causing it to fail I'd like to see examples, I haven't seen that happen. You can open a bug and attach the file over on the bug tracker and I'll try to make that scenario work. The formatting for lit files is all over the place, but I've been trying to make preprocessing as format agnostic as possible.

Preprocess probably doesn't do anything for lrf files, I don't have any content using that format for testing, and not really sure of the steps calibre takes when processing it.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The txt files converted poorly without preprocessing turned on. Much much better with preprocessing turned on.

Not perfect but from butt ugly to readable is good enough for me
I may have given up on the lits I tried earlier and deleted them, but I am sure I have others with same problem so will attach when I come across them.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
jotekman
Enthusiast
jotekman is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
Hi! You know how you write a post, and then, because of that thing called life, you forget about it!
What a nice suprise that everyone gave some tips! I really appreciate it.
The preprocessing worked, and the file is now in good shape. Also I used the debug option to play with the file a little bit too just to clean it up and make it nice like the original one.
So, I guess, both methods were necessary for this particular file. It was apparently not well made. Thanks Kovid and Idolse and the rest o ya! Much obliged.
jotekman is offline   Reply With Quote