Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Button click noise?

I've just watched some videos of the PB360 and noticed that there is a fairly loud *click* noise whenever the central button and page turn buttons are pressed.

Do the currently shipped models still have that noise? I did search, but couldn't find anything.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
it's much less noticeable in person than it is in videos. It doesnt bother me in the slightest.

having said that it does bother some people. thats why we have this wonderful bit of programming available to us https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-02-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
IndecisiveMe
Addict

I saw that sticky yesterday Dunlin's Books and that's what might have swayed me from the Astak Pocket Pro, well that and another thread I found directly asking which was better between the two and is was a unanimous vote for the PB360.

I read a lot, and I read in bed nearly every night, I have to take into consideration that my husband might be annoyed by a clicking noise every time I turn a page.

Also, is a normal bedside lamp good enough light for reading in bed? There has been a couple of mentions of book lights and I've never seen an eReader in person to know if that's something that you always need or not.

Thanks for you help
Old 03-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
minigrrl
minigrrl began at the beginning.

Device: eReader on many Palms, Treos & iPhone, Cybook Gen3 x2, Pocketbook 360
You only need the book light if you have no other lights on ie. if you are trying not to disturb your sleeping husband! Your bedside lamp should be fine. Basically the reader will need the same amount of light as a regular book.
minigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:43 AM   #5
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by minigrrl View Post
You only need the book light if you have no other lights on ie. if you are trying not to disturb your sleeping husband! Your bedside lamp should be fine. Basically the reader will need the same amount of light as a regular book.
Thanks for that! That's what I thought, but some of the threads were confusing me (not hard to do)
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
LegoErgoSum
Enthusiast
LegoErgoSum began at the beginning.

Device: PB360
I experienced the same, that it is much louder in the videos than in person. The clicking noise doesn't disturb me at all. I stop recognizing it after some page turns, same as with the screen refresh.
The noise doesn't disturb my girlfriend neither when she is sleeping, but thats very individual depending on the person.
LegoErgoSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Thanks for that My husband is a VERY deep sleeper, and has just laughed at me for wondering out loud if the noise would bother him. It's more while we're reading in bed, thinking the noise would disturb his reading. You've both put my mind at ease and so has my husband.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
There is a bit of a clicky sound with the buttons - not nearly as bad as it comes across in videos I've seen and it seems to ease off a little with usage too. But I have to say that i get similar with my Kindle buttons too. You get used to it and Hubs gets used to it too!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
There is a bit of a clicky sound with the buttons - not nearly as bad as it comes across in videos I've seen and it seems to ease off a little with usage too. But I have to say that i get similar with my Kindle buttons too. You get used to it and Hubs gets used to it too!
The "wing" buttons click much louder than the centre button does. I always use the centre button, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Quote:
I think I'm going to go and order it right now This is going to be my very first ereader and I am very excited.

I've visited your blog a lot and it helped me make my decision, I just signed up as a follower.

ETA: Just placed my order!

Last edited by IndecisiveMe; 03-02-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Thanks I am sure you won't be disappointed - it is a lovely device. Let us know what you think when it arrives!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Quote:
Let us know what you think when it arrives!
Shall do! I can't imagine I'm going to be disappointed. I think I'm going to be thrilled.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
Piscean
Piscean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7, Windows Phone, ASUS tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
I read a lot, and I read in bed nearly every night, I have to take into consideration that my husband might be annoyed by a clicking noise every time I turn a page.
I read in bed and yes, the button click is loud enough to be annoying and disruptive to your sleeping partner. However, the center button is much more quiet than the larger buttons, so I've remapped the page turn to that button.

Also, there is a version of the reader which turns pages by tilting the device. I highly recommend that if you're comfortable copying files to the device. Those page turns are silent.
Piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
IndecisiveMe
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
Also, there is a version of the reader which turns pages by tilting the device. I highly recommend that if you're comfortable copying files to the device. Those page turns are silent.
I had heard about that wrist page turn and I will definitely have a look at it, it sounds great!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #15
jonsbjons
Connoisseur
jonsbjons doesn't litterjonsbjons doesn't litter

Device: PBook301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
Just tilting?
jonsbjons is offline   Reply With Quote