Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
PC Keyboards

I'm just finishing up the Project from Heck, and figure I'm going to get myself a new keyboard to celebrate. I'm looking for something ergonomic, with a light touch, letters that won't wear off, and quick enough response that I won't over-type it when I have one on my bursts of really fast typing.

Any suggestions?

Please don't suggest a DVORAK keyboard - I'm too old and set in my ways to retrain my hands.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Price range?

In the inexpensive ones, I only like the MS Natural (the curved ones). I use them on my Macs even. I can not afford the better ones that separate, but would love to try one someday.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I won't say price is no object, but if the quality is there, I'm willing to pay a fair amount. I spend probably 90% of my day typing (I'm a technical writer), and will be doing more typing when I'm not working, as I'm working on a story. And this latest project is paying me enough that I can afford a splurge.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I won't say price is no object, but if the quality is there, I'm willing to pay a fair amount. I spend probably 90% of my day typing (I'm a technical writer), and will be doing more typing when I'm not working, as I'm working on a story. And this latest project is paying me enough that I can afford a splurge.
I would love to try the more expensive ones, but the MS one is top end of my price(can get them cheap if you shop them out, less then 50$). I have one on every computer I have owned for the last few years. So cannot comment on these, but would love to try them...

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/keyboards.htm
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
At home, I have several old Dell typist "clicky clack" keyboards. Gives good feedback.

Right now, I have my notebook on a tray raising the screen up, and have attached to it a laser mouse, and a MS keyboard I got cheap at Best Buy, which has a nice feel, the keys go down a fair amount, and I can get a clicky clack sound if I want. Usually it is only the right thumb on the space bar that makes a lot of noise.

MS Digital Media Keyboard 300, ultra thin.
All sorts of buttons, special keys, a ratchet type flip out on the bottom that will put the keyboard at the desired angle if needed. Spill resistant.

It cost about $12 on closeout at Best Buy when I bought it to substitute for a Dell that went out. I got the Dell going again, and put the MS in my travel bag.
I have given away other keyboards that cost a lot more, but this one I like and keep.

Last edited by frahse; 05-06-2013 at 08:10 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I use the Kinesis Freestyle. I have the first version, I haven't tried the "new" Freestyle 2 on that link, but it looks the same. I use the variation with the VIP3 accessory and palm supports (but I didn't stick the felt pads on, I think they'd just get dirty and messy). I actually bought mine from The Human Solution as they were the only ones that could get the keyboard to me here in Australia without delivery costing more than the keyboard.

I've had the Kinesis for over 18 months. Very flexible. Yes, being in two halves means it can bump around a bit - but that's all the better for ergonomics (there's even a keyboard out there that constantly adjusts itself to force a slight change in configuration - I find this happens naturally with the Kinesis). No sign of trouble. No sign of fading labels - though palm rest is a bit shiny in places now. I like the feel of the keys and I had no trouble adapting to it after years with Microsoft Natural keyboards of various sorts - in fact the main configuration I use with the VIP3 attachment is quite similar, perhaps just a bit wider split. I didn't get a numeric keypad and I did miss that for a while, but it's nice having the mouse closer. Probably my biggest complaint is not having wireless (I've got an odd configuration for my desk which makes keyboard and mouse cables a bit of a bother), but the cable is long I've been managing okay.

I used to really like the Microsoft Natural keyboards, but from the last one I had it seemed to me that the quality has dropped considerably: keys sticking and not always striking.

You may want to look at the Goldtouch keyboard (see on The Human Solution link), I didn't have a lot of faith in their ball locking mechanism and the keys felt wrong to me - but everyone's different.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't get a wireless keyboard. They are a freaking hassle. You have to turn them on and off plus, you have to replace batteries. It's just not worth it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't get a wireless keyboard. They are a freaking hassle. You have to turn them on and off plus, you have to replace batteries. It's just not worth it.
I don't know what wireless keyboards you've been using. My last Microsoft Natural keyboard (the 7000) had no on/off switch and went for months on three AA batteries. It was nice to be able to move the keyboard out of the way when I needed to, without worry about cords - usually when cleaning my desk - but that happens rarely enough that the corded Kinesis hasn't been too much trouble. It gave me plenty of warning about running low on battery power. The wireless aspect of the MS keyboard never gave me any trouble (except, at first, I was blaming wireless for missed keystrokes but I'm pretty sure that it was really a mechanical problem because it was always the same keys - towards the rise in the centre and the space bar).
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I don't know what wireless keyboards you've been using. My last Microsoft Natural keyboard (the 7000) had no on/off switch and went for months on three AA batteries.
Same. My current home and work wireless keyboards both have been on the same batteries for many, many months. The way my work desk is setup it's either a wireless keyboard or a USB extension cord for a wired one.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe look at the IBM M-10 keyboard --> http://pckeyboard.com/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Hmmmm. I've been using the Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750
for awhile now and it is awesome. No need to turn it on/off - it does that automatically if not used for an extended time, but wakes up instantly; no batteries that need to be replaced - they are charged by normal room lighting; wireless; great feel and response from the keys. It is also connected by one of those really small usb plugs that can connect multiple wireless devices all at once...so my keyboard and touchpad (mouse) are both run through that...great use of ports for my laptop. The only downside is it is a straight keyboard, not ergonomically curved.

I liked it so much that I bought 2 more for my other machines...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The best keyboards are the ones made in the 1980s, but apparently modern ones with Cherry MX switches are almost as good.

Or you could go for something like this?

mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
The best keyboards are the ones made in the 1980s, but apparently modern ones with Cherry MX switches are almost as good.

Or you could go for something like this?

What's that thing on the top called?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Felicity Grope
Felicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of itFelicity Grope has read War And Peace ... all of it

Another vote for the MS Natural. Never found anything better. I recently bought an Apple bluetooth keyboard to use with my PC. Tried it for about two months before I finally went back to my old grubby Natural Pro. About 10 years old and still going strong after many millions of words.
Felicity Grope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity Grope View Post
Another vote for the MS Natural. Never found anything better. I recently bought an Apple bluetooth keyboard to use with my PC. Tried it for about two months before I finally went back to my old grubby Natural Pro. About 10 years old and still going strong after many millions of words.
Stick with your old one as long as you can. The one in the "Desktop 7000" is not a patch on the earlier models (I think I've had four Natural keyboards over the years, and only the last one disappointed - it didn't last long at all).