Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #2101
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
1. Name and docs should be self-explanatory. If they aren't, you're probably not the target audience.

2. Don't think so. Either a peculiarity of your network, or I missed an update to the Kindle's set of iptables rules.

3. IP is irrelevant, that's for the USB side of things. The defaults are perfectly fine for the target audience and basic intended usage (i.e., debugging, dev, rescue). That, and keeping intrusiveness to a minimum by default.
Misuse of some features *WILL* break things in fun and interesting ways; as such, enabling at boot by default is a terrible idea.

4. Not my problem? OpenSSH & dropbear behave sanely, that's good enough for me.

5. Meh. Use KUAL.

----

If you care for a more detailed answer, try to dig up my previous answers on why USBNetwok is documented this way.
The first sentence of the doc is basically a thinly veiled "go away" for a reason, that's not just me being an ass .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-07-2015 at 11:15 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:39 AM   #2102
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
ok, well, just trying to be helpful of what settings worked for me... although you are right, i recognize i am not your typical use case (not debugging, dev)
bookreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #2103
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@bookreader1: Last edited by NiLuJe; Today at 05:15.

That didn't help ^^.

To answer your original query (I think?), even with an sshfs mount, the 'folder sync' handling of Calibre is fairly generic, and doesn't do any of the kind of special hand-holding needed to Do The Right Thing (like the Kindle driver does), so it's not a terribly fruitful angle of attack. It works for the basics, but that's not a complete solution, IMHO.

Short of trying to handle that on Calibre's side by making folder sync smarter, you're left with other basic solutions like rsync, opds, or custom syncing scripts (f.g., Librarian). That, or implementing the protocol used by the Calibre Wireless Driver (which I think KOReader does, to a certain extent, but, again, in a device-agnostic way, because KOReader doesn't need any of the crazy extra stuff the Kindle framework does).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-08-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #2104
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookreader1 View Post
ok, well, just trying to be helpful of what settings worked for me... although you are right, i recognize i am not your typical use case (not debugging, dev)
Hmmmm.....

Go to the index page for this forum -
Click the label 'views' that heads the rightmost column -
Scroll down past the stickies -
What two thread topics do you see listed at the top of the list, which is now sorted by number of views?
(Hint: has USB in the names)

How old is the oldest (the one about the keyboard devices)?
(Hint: it could start public school next year)

Your fighting a lot of precedent there, trying to get the default set-ups changed.

I would suggest you look-up the Wiki page(s) about using the USBnetwork add-in and there add your recommended settings, and why someone else might want to follow your lead.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #2105
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
NiLuJe -- i do appreciate all the tools that are available here and the effort it must have taken to create/maintain them, and i did not mean to offend anyone.

as far as calibre's 'folder sync', thx for the additional info, i am really not familiar with what calibre can do specifically with the kindle, but no big deal. OPDS is the biggest thing, and works well.

knc1- thank you, i understand.
bookreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #2106
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bookreader1: None taken, like I said, my answering at 5AM isn't conductive to the me using the warmest tone .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #2107
Deep90s
Deep90s began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Gen
i am new to kindle please help me i bought Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation E-reader and is this jailbreaking works on it ? Please help me
Deep90s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #2108
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Did you read the first post, specifically the two Important Notices?

If so, check out the (current) first sticky in this forum -- Serial Jailbreaking your fw 5.6.x Kindle for Dummies

If not, read the notices, then check out the sticky.

If you need more help, you will have to be more specific.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #2109
Deep90s

If i try to Downgrade my FirmWare Will this Work on All new Paperwhite 7th gen?
Old 12-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #2110
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Can't downgrade a PW3, they shipped on FW 5.6.1
Old 12-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #2111
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And even if there where an earlier firmware version for the PW-3 (or, KT-2 which I think is the model the O.P. meant) - - -
You would have to jail break it first, before you could downgrade it.

= = = =

Note:
There are threads here in addition to the sticky one that provide other information.

Such as: How to make the serial port connections without soldering skills.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #2112
Deep90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Can't downgrade a PW3, they shipped on FW 5.6.1
Please help me bro how i can jailbreak it without opening my kindle i really need to do that and if no option is available when any solution be available for that
in future.

thanks in advance bro
Kind Regards Deep
Old 12-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #2113
Deep90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Note:
There are threads here in addition to the sticky one that provide other information.

Such as: How to make the serial port connections without soldering skills.
No bro i can't open my kindle that's really not an option
Old 12-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #2114
knc1
Going Viral

Visit this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=265675
and subscribe to it using the 'thread tools' in the blue bar.
That way you will know as soon as anyone else.

Last edited by knc1; 12-07-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #2115
knc1
Going Viral

Ooops ..

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch