Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
tracym
tracym began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
kobo, google play update, calibre update

so I waited for the new calibre update as people said it would fix the problem of the kobo vox google play update and I still cant get books in my vox. The send to device is STILL greyed out. My usb storage is on etc..

can someone kindly explain the steps to get the books back into my kobo? I really dont understand all the lingo with folders and that. I have about 10 books I want to put back in. I mean talk to me like I am an idiot. I am beyond frustrated with this damn thing. I dont want to read the books on my computer... that is why I bought an ereader and kobo is useless as tits on a board.....
tracym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracym View Post
so I waited for the new calibre update as people said it would fix the problem of the kobo vox google play update and I still cant get books in my vox. The send to device is STILL greyed out. My usb storage is on etc..

can someone kindly explain the steps to get the books back into my kobo? I really dont understand all the lingo with folders and that. I have about 10 books I want to put back in. I mean talk to me like I am an idiot. I am beyond frustrated with this damn thing.
not infront of it at the moment, but

connect vox to computer
after a while a message appears on vox (think it says enable mass storage), press on yes/ok
check in finder (mac) or explorer (windows) to see if vox appear

open calibre
find books
click books and select send to device

when done, on finder (mac) or explorer (windows), right click on kobo and select eject (not 100% what option is on windows as i am a mac user)

press disconnect option on vox screen, then disconnect cable

open library on vox
press option button
select import books

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracym View Post
I dont want to read the books on my computer... that is why I bought an ereader and kobo is useless as tits on a board.....
not sure of the point of this comment, why not just ask for help
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You might also ask the mods to move the thread to the Vox board. As you said to talk to you like you are an idiot, I am going to tell you that Calibre is a product that is independent of Kobo and that when what is needed is a change in the Calibre driver, it is NOT Kobo that does this.

You have the option of putting epubs into something like dropbox while you are waiting for the Calibre team to update the driver and download books from dropbox to your Vox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
In theory this weeks calibre update includes a new driver....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The new Calibre version played just fine with my updated Vox.

OK, so:
  • I connected my Vox via the USB port on my computer.
  • I turned on the Vox and pressed the USB storage button
  • My Windows 7 computer installed a driver for the Vox
  • I opened Calibre
  • Calibre recognized the device as an Android Phone
  • I Succesfully sent a book from the Calibre library to the device--it did not give me a choice between micro SD card and main memory. I did though send it to main memory just fine.
  • I turned off USB storage, which safely disconnected the Vox from my computer
  • I opened Aldiko (the program I use for non-kepub books) and went to the home screen
  • I pressed SD Card icon
  • I pressed the ebooks button
  • I then pressed the import button and chose my book, which opened in Aldiko

As an alternative, you can add your book to Adobe ADE (yes, without adding DRM) and authorize your Vox running Aldiko from there--you can then drag and drop.

You can also easily import books into the Kobo app.
  • Open the Kobo app
  • Press the middle hardware button (looks like lines on a page)
  • Press Import Content
  • Choose the books you want to import, and let the fun begin

Wow, that is so much easier, i might just read regular ePUB books using the Kobo app.

Last edited by taming; 06-22-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: more info
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Wow, that is so much easier, i might just read regular ePUB books using the Kobo app.
would love to do that, make life easier, but

Library needs a search (Aldiko has this), or I need more practice in Library, I still accidentally open the wrong book when scrolling through it

Reading Life needs to sync stats for sideloaded books (personal preference, but I like all my devices to have the same stats), so I only use kobo app for kobo books now
Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

It would be nice if sideloaded book stats did sync, but since they don't do that whatever app you use, that is not a deal breaker for me. I do think it might be nice not to have to think about what format I am using on a given book.

Now, I seldom read on the Vox, preferring my Touch for eReading, so it is pretty much a moot point for me.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moved to the Kobo Vox forum
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
SaveMyKobo
SaveMyKobo began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
not sure of the point of this comment, why not just ask for help
Comedic mischief, comedic relief. It illustrates the users frustrations with using a device which has been slated to reduce frustrations of reading a digital book. Stop being so uptight.
SaveMyKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMyKobo View Post
Comedic mischief, comedic relief. It illustrates the users frustrations with using a device which has been slated to reduce frustrations of reading a digital book. Stop being so uptight.
I myself don't see any humor in it...nor in this comment above... I guess using your time and experience to help someone out means you have to be much more careful of the comments you make than the original poster?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The OP seems silent at this point. Maybe she realized that the updated Vox actually does play nicely with Calibre and is too busy reading to comment.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
paulsalter
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMyKobo View Post
Not being uptight, just sick of all the childish remarks that keep getting made

Unsure what it's like where you are, but here people get better support on things by asking for help, not whining (general observation this, not aimed at the op)

But thanks for picking up on that one point, no mention of the time I spent explaining how to add books

Last edited by paulsalter; 06-23-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
unifaerie
Enthusiast
unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kindle4, Nexus 7 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
[*]I opened Aldiko (the program I use for non-kepub books) and went to the home screen
[*]I pressed SD Card icon
[*]I pressed the ebooks button
[*]I then pressed the import button and chose my book, which opened in Aldiko
I am completely unsure where I find the SD Card icon and then to continue as above

Any help, please?

Is this also the method to transfer from the Kobo reader to Aldiko, my much preferred reader.
unifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

The SD card icon is on the Aldiko App's home page.

You cannot sync between Aldiko with either the Kobo devices (Touch, WiFi, Vox) or the Kobo App on the Vox, the Kobo desktop program (or elsewhere). Only books in Kobo's proprietary ePUB format AKA kepubs sync across kobo devices and apps.

Many people use Dropbox or Calibre to get DRM free ePUB formatted books books onto the Vox.

Once you have sideloaded the books onto your Vox, you can load them into either the Aldiko App or the Kobo App (or both). You can also sideload books with Adobe Adept DRM onto Aldiko separately through Adobe ADE which will recognize Aldiko as the name of the device.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #15
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I use Calibre on my pc to manage all my books (Kobo, Sony, diesel, books on board etc.) and then bring them to the Vox using the Calibre server. I find it easier than using the import from sd card method because I can see all my covers, titles and author names regardless of how the book file is named.

Details in this thread, #2 post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178123

Aldiko Sync is a separate (free) app that allows you to sync Aldiko between Android devices. Unfortunately you can't use it to sync your Kobo Touch...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 06-25-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote