Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #481
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthursbedtime View Post
Arthur:

Not to distract you from enjoying your bedtime, but have you noticed that GeorgeH has just created a new version of Elizabeth and Essex, which is available on the very site on which we're now posting?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #482
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
The Walter De La Mare Omnibus (1933) - or any ghost story anthology by De La Mare!

There ought to be some in the public domain - in fact, many of the individual stories should be. But I've never been able to track them down. Anyone have any ideas? And btw, not 'Henry Brocken', 'The Return', 'Seaton's Aunt', and the other very early ones already on Gutenberg.
gutenberg.ca has Best Stories of Walter de la Mare (1941):
http://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/delamarew...ries-00-h.html
GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #483
GeorgeH
Addict
GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeorgeH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Minima Moralia, by Theodor Adorno (translated by Dennis Redmond)
Is this the sort of layout you had in mind? I put an active TOC at the beginning of Part 1 to allow easier interaction with the aphorisms. Parts 2 & 3 would be easy to complete.

Last edited by GeorgeH; 10-11-2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Attachment removed
Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #484
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your ToC is fun and intuitive, and your cover is more apropos than the Jean Arp diagram I happened to improvise.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #485
GeorgeH
Addict

Post deleted.

Last edited by GeorgeH; 10-11-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #486
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Why were the posts and links to the book deleted? Please PM me if you can't explain here. Were there legal issues?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #487
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Is anyone having a go at the Story of San Michele, by Axel Munthe (died 11 February 1949, according to Wikipedia)?

I remember reading and enjoying it years ago. There are PDFs and OCR-ed versions available here - http://archive.org/details/storyofsanmichel005356mbp - but they suffer from the usual defects.

If no-one is trying it I might have a go myself.....
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #488
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
Is anyone having a go at the Story of San Michele, by Axel Munthe (died 11 February 1949, according to Wikipedia)?

I remember reading and enjoying it years ago. There are PDFs and OCR-ed versions available here - http://archive.org/details/storyofsanmichel005356mbp - but they suffer from the usual defects.

If no-one is trying it I might have a go myself.....
I'll have a stab at it. The OCR seems to be decent quality.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #489
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
I'll have a stab at it. The OCR seems to be decent quality.
Thanks very much. I'll look out for it.

I noticed that Munthe uses footnotes to translate Italian phrases, or sometimes just a single word. It would seem silly to shift these to the end of the chapter, or the book - perhaps best just to shove them in brackets after the phrase?
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #490
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
Thanks very much. I'll look out for it.

I noticed that Munthe uses footnotes to translate Italian phrases, or sometimes just a single word. It would seem silly to shift these to the end of the chapter, or the book - perhaps best just to shove them in brackets after the phrase?
When a footnote has a purpose that this, I agree - including it inline in the text (perhaps in square brackets) after the reference is better than having a jump to an endnote in the eBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #491
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Just uploaded "The Story of San Michel". Haven't had time to actually read it yet, so the proofreading is so-so. Feedback welcome (as always).
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #492
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Hi

I have been looking for a book for the past six months that I have not been able to find anywhere within my reach. I am therefore begging the Mobileread sosciety for help with this.

The book I'm looking for is "The Technique of the Mystery Story", written by Carolyn Wells in 1913. From what I understand of copyright law, this book is public domain in the entire world, and could be copied and distributed freely?

I know that making an e-book takes time and are more than willing to spend that time myself if someone could provide me with scans in good quality of this book. So if there are anyone "out there" with access to this book and a scanner, I would be very grateful if I could get some scans to use for an epub version to upload to the library here.

Also, there are many other old books I am very interested in that I cannot get as interlibrary loans to my libraries in Norway. All of them are related to the genre of classical mysteries and puzzles, and all of them are in the public domain as far as I know. If there are anyone in the US or the UK that are very interested in this subject and willing to help me, please send me a PM on this site. What I cannot do myself is actually get hold of these books and scan them myself, but if I can get good quality scans from these books, I will make epubs myself and upload to the library.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #493
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
Hi
The book I'm looking for is "The Technique of the Mystery Story", written by Carolyn Wells in 1913. From what I understand of copyright law, this book is public domain in the entire world, and could be copied and distributed freely?
That depends on what year Carolyn Wells died in. Most western countries have either a "life+50" or a "life+70" copyright law, so the dependency is not on when the book was published, but when the author died. The notable exception is the USA, in which anything published prior to 1923 is in the public domain, so this book would be in the US public domain.

Norway has a "Life+70" copyright term, so this book will be in the public domain (as of tomorrow) if the author died in 1942 or earlier.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-31-2012 at 07:15 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #494
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
Carolyn Wells died on March 26, 1942, so her works come out of copyright in most of the world tomorrow, 1st January 2013, has been out of copyright in Canada and Australia since 1st January 1993, and is currently available at Project Gutenberg Australia

You can also find a PDF scan of the book at Archive.org
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #495
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
As far as I can tell, this is the Carolyn Wells that died in 1942. The book is not listed as "hers" on her wikipedia page, but I guess it's her. So the book became public domain this year from what I can understand
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote