Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Arrow [Kindle Touch] Wiki page to consolidate hack information

Hi all,

you probably have all been bitten by this: there is a tremendous amount of information in the forums, but unfortunately it is scattered around multiple threads and possibly many pages of the individual threads.

Even if, in the corner of your mind, you know that you have seen a piece of information about a specific topic somewhere, it gets pretty hard to find it again. It's also pretty hard to see how all of these little pieces play together.

So, after a bit of discussion (starting at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=20 ), I have started to set up a Wiki page at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking

The purpose of this page is to be something like a "compendium" about hacking/tweaking/developing for the Kindle Touch. It could also serve as a "first stop" for people who are new to the topic and wish to get an overview of the matter.

It is not meant to replace the forums, but rather as an addition. Maybe along the lines of "forum is for discussion and work-in-progress etc."; once there has been a somewhat final result, a conclusion, a released package etc., just quickly put some information about it in the Wiki. You'll see that many of the existing entries link back to the relevant forum threads/posts for further information.

While I have populated the page with some initial content to get this thing going, I'm absolutely not seeing myself as the only maintainer of it. On the contrary -- while I try to follow much of the relevant discussion, I can't know everything, and my time is also limited.

So: if you have some valuable information to put in there: go ahead!!! YOU can help in making that thing useful! :-)

Questions or comments appreciated.

-- ixtab
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
LittleLui
LittleLui began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for taking the initiative! I added a few lines on remote debugging (from the thread on that started by X19).
LittleLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLui View Post
Thanks for taking the initiative! I added a few lines on remote debugging (from the thread on that started by X19).
Yay! Thank you -- this is exactly the kind of contribution I was hoping for.

Now to everybody else out there: I see that some of you are hesitant to modify the page. Don't be! If you know about any relevant material, then by all means, just go and add it: your modifications can only make the page more useful to everyone.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Thankyou - I was getting information from many threads and that just ended with me being in a state of paralysis from confusion!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
lkewei
lkewei began at the beginning.

Thank you for doing this, ixtab! You mentioned that one can ssh access kindle over wifi when USB networking is enabled. Could you please elaborate more on that in the Wiki page?

Last edited by lkewei; 12-24-2011 at 11:24 AM.
lkewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkewei View Post
Thank you for doing this, ixtab! You mentioned that one can ssh access kindle over wifi when USB networking is enabled. Could you please elaborate more on that in the Wiki page?
Hmm... I'm not sure what more I could write :-D
Which information are you missing?

You simply turn on ";un", then from any machine, ssh root@<kindle's ip>.
The only problem is determining the IP -- is that what your request was about? I personally did it by looking on the router. There doesn't seem to be an easy way of finding it out on the kindle itself.

Give the ";711" shortcut a try. It displays a diagnostic page including some of the network configuration. Unfortunately, this only works (for me) if Wifi is off. If it is on, the relevant section just stays "null". This *might* be related to my personal setup though (I'm using Enterprise WPA and need to configure wpa_supplicant directly).

Please try this and report back.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
lkewei
lkewei began at the beginning.

I tried ";711", and I found my ip address. It is working now. Thank you very much!
lkewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkewei View Post
I tried ";711", and I found my ip address. It is working now. Thank you very much!
You're welcome :-)
I also updated the Wiki accordingly.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)

... just bumping this thread so it doesn't get lost. There has been some work going on on the page (thanks to all other contributors!), so IMO it's getting pretty useful.

I'm not trying to be pretentious here, but would this be something suitable for a sticky thread (or as an addition to another sticky thread's first post, like the "Comprehensive List of Kindle Hacks/Modifications" by Mario1up)?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Posted your request to mario1up thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Faw
Faw began at the beginning.

I saw this in the wiki:

Quote:
Collections

I want to know whether there is working tool for kindle touch collections. I've scratched up a hack to generate collections from directories. The theory is: use a script to generate json codes use to insert& update collections for current contents in /mnt/us/documents/, use the http://localhost:9101/change port to do the real work. I've made an extension to use the yifanlu's laucher, Here
Directly dealing with /var/local/cc.db might work, but risks should be much higher.
Could that be used to enable calibre to update collections using Kindle Collections Plugin? AFAIK the plugin creates/updates a JSON file on the other kindles, could that and this hack be used to update them directly from calibre?
Faw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Rebecca_06
Rebecca_06 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Faw: I think so, but I haven't been smart enough to make it work yet. I tried the extension for yifanlu's launcher discussed in the wiki, and it half-worked. For some reason some of the collections showed up on my KT, and some didn't. I might try it again later.

This is also being discussed here, and it sounds like a few people have been able to do it successfully.
Rebecca_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
Swashy
Swashy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touch
edit: I'm stupid, finally found the kindle 4 page. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking

Last edited by Swashy; 01-22-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Swashy is offline   Reply With Quote