Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
cayle
cayle doesn't littercayle doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505 and T1, Pocketbook IQ
Does a broken e ink screen effect the device turning on?

I have had my Sony PRS-505 since March 2009 and I love it. So does my mom. Unfortunately, she accidentally dropped the unit face down on our bathroom's tile floor. I have dropped the unit before and it has survived, but this time the case was open and it didn't come out unscathed.

The e ink screen is broken. The left hand side of the screen shows the the exact thing that was on it when it was dropped. The right hand side of the screen is a mess. Horizontal lines, vertical lines, and even a line that waves from the top to the bottom of the screen, almost like a water stain invading from the right.

I know that the e ink screen is shot. Multiple soft and hard resets as well as full charging fail to revive the screen. Called Sony support to get quote on how much it would cost. After about 15 minutes on the phone to India, the nice man on the phone told me it would cost $90 to fix and they would even send me a refurbished one to read on while mine was being fixed. Great.

But I have one more concern that I wonder if anyone can help me with. Does the e ink screen being broken mean that the unit won't turn on? Because my reader will not turn on and the little light stays yellow (even after soft and hard resetting). When I reset the device will charge with the red light, but freezes on turn on.

My question here is, would it even be worth sending the unit in to get its screen repaired if the device won't turn on? Or, is this normal behavior that will be fixed when they replace the screen?
cayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
A broken screen could affect turn-on depending on the nature of the break but could also mean something else is broken... only way to find out would be return to Sony. You could ask them, before sending back, for their opinion and your options...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Maybe something inside broke as well. Have you considered buying a dead 505 from someone and switching the screen? I don't know how easy that would be but you might be able to find one somewhere for very cheap with an intact screen.

I suggest emailing Sony first about the situation. Worst case scenario, they test the reader, find it broken inside and un-fixable, and they just trash it and you don't have to pay the $90. Best case, they replace the screen and make sure it works.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, e ink, screen, won't start up