Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #16
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
I just want to know the story behind the "case of the incindiary cat" comment!

Lois has thrown out lots of one-off comments throughout her books, each of which *could* be the start of another story.

But, but, but....

She only writes one book per year. Just doesn't write any faster, and only that fast when life doesn't land too hard. And, to top it all off, she doesn't like to write prequels, or backstory, or such. She just doesn't like to try to fit details into already established storylines. Extensions are fine, what happens next is great, but not old history, or some story in the midlife of a character who you know already survives. I can understand this limitation, but it means lots of itches go unscratched.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #17
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I know I'm probably inviting rains of fire upon my head, but...

I'm a bit more than half way through "Shards of Honor" and it's starting to feel like a Romance Novel in Outer Space (That's a genre guess, as I've never read a real Romance Novel).

I guess I expected a bit more hard SF from all the comments on this thread.

Am I missing something?

I'll finish this one and "Barrayar", but unless things pick up I don't think I'll be reading anymore Bujold.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #18
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The author has admitted that it's a romance novel in space (though there are some hard bits near the end ... no, not that kind of hard bits! Geez! Some people!). Barrayar is quite different, as are the rest. The "Sharing Knife" books are at least partly romantic, though, which is probably why I didn't like them all that much.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200308...5583.htm?blurb

Can only be read online, but it's a short read.
Awesome, thank you! I own it twice over already, but it's great to have a free online version that I can point at when recommending Bujold to various people.

Speaking of which,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm a bit more than half way through "Shards of Honor" and it's starting to feel like a Romance Novel in Outer Space (That's a genre guess, as I've never read a real Romance Novel).

Am I missing something?
No, Shards is pretty romance-y because it was specifically written to tell the backstory of how Aral and Cordelia got together in the first place. Komarr and A Civil Campaign are also somewhat romance-y for similar reasons (however, ACC is actually better classed as a comedy of errors and hugely entertaining).

But once their relationship is firmly established, the books become much more action/adventure-ish and Barrayar is basically a lot of political maneuvering and machinations, along with keeping one step ahead of pursuit.

You can take a break from the romance by reading either of the short stories linked to upthread. They're standalone and pretty non-spoilerish for truly important developments in the series.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok... "Shards of Honor" is at least interesting enough, so I'll stay with it and finish "Barrayar" before I give her up...
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #21
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Ok... "Shards of Honor" is at least interesting enough, so I'll stay with it and finish "Barrayar" before I give her up...
I suggest, if I may, that before giving her up you also try The Curse of Chalion, The Paladin of Souls, and The Hallowed Hunt. They are in a different universe, and are more fantasy than hard science fiction. I've read them several times, and expect to read them several times again.

For what it is worth I think that there is some romance in nearly all her books, but certainly not enough to make them romance novels.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #22
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I must be weird. I loved Chalion, I loved Paladin, and I could not bear to finish Hunt. I just couldn't stand the thing.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #23
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That's where I started. Webscription sells the two books together as 'Cordelia's Honor' for $5 DRM free...
http://www.webscription.net/p-85-cordelias-honor.aspx

Most/all of the Vorkosigan books are available in 2 in 1 or omnibus editions. Makes for a very good value.
Purchased, and sideloaded into my Kobo. They're next up on my reading list, so I'll comment later (not that anyone will be waiting, with baited breath, for my opinion).
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #24
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

Am I missing something?

I'll finish this one and "Barrayar", but unless things pick up I don't think I'll be reading anymore Bujold.
With Miles you have romance (Barrayar, Shards of Honor, Komarr, A civil campaign), crime (Cetaganda), space opera, harder sci-fi (not very hard but more), they're very different styles. But hard, hard, in Lois McMaster's, no, sorry.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post

For what it is worth I think that there is some romance in nearly all her books, but certainly not enough to make them romance novels.

Regards, Alex
Some? A lot, but of course, they're not harlequin.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #26
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:

Am I missing something?

Don't worry, no fire-throwing from me, and I started this thread!

In my opinion, though, Shards of Honor and Barrayar are really pretty different from the books that feature Miles (who is the son of Cordelia and Aral.) These two books really are just a setup to the story, and you could skip them entirely if you want. I liked them myself, but I thought Barrayar was better than Shards of Honor.

I'm reading the Chalion books by Bujold now. I've finished The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls, and have just started The Hallowed Hunt. Totally enjoying them, of course. I'm hopeless -- I'm such a Bujold fan that I'd probably read her shopping list and enjoy it!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #27
TMPoole
TMPoole began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX/Mobipocket,Astak Pocket Pro, Kindle2, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Wow. I think I tried to read one of her books once, but only got a few pages in before I gave up.

What would you suggest as a good starter book?
The Warrior's Apprentice. Then Shards of Honor and Barrayar.

After you meet the Son, you'll want to meet the people that molded him. You won't mind the romance as much (or at all).

Have to warn you though, Bujold is one of the only authors I've read that can have you laughing one page and wiping away tears the next. I've never read anything of her's that I didn't love.
TMPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #28
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Ok.. To defend myself, her writing is good enough that she has kept me reading "Shards of Honor" to see what happens next, so I'll continue with "Barrayer" and we'll see after that.

Y'all have to understand that at 63 i grew up with all that early hard SF and some of this new stuff takes some work for this old fart.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I've just finished "Shards of Honour" also. I have to admit, the writing is pretty good and I'm cruising on through the next book.

Then, as everyone says these two aren't really representative of the rest of the series, I'm going to have to read at least the next book or two.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #30
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
The nice thing about the series is how much of it isn't representative of the series.

(I'm particularly thinkning of Ethan of Athos)
slm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bujold