Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #46
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
kaan, finniusfrog - that's a valid point, and others have raised it too. We are guilty of being too US-centric right now, and we will try to fix that. Thank you for your feedback!

JSWolf - that's the same bug igorsk found, though it's really a 'feature' We always display the lowest price for the book on the result pages, which is why you see 'Free' for 3 sites. And we use the rebate-price from Fictionwise for all their ebooks, which is why 206 Bones shows up as free for them on the actual ebook page. We will be changing that in a couple of days to always display the regular price from Fictionwise, and will figure out how to display the rebate price additionally if a rebate is available.

ahi - thanks for pointing out our feedback link!

zerospinboson, we are aware of PD books crowding subject searches because of their prices - we will be fixing that so it's easier to find non-PD books for any kind of search.

Crowl - I didn't know that about Waterstones - thanks for the info and the other links. Bol.com is on our TODO list already. We will check all of them out.

Last edited by anurag; 09-24-2009 at 04:42 PM.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #47
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Looks great!

Bookmarked!

(You may want to consider mentioning other eBook readers besides the ones that you list next to a format.)
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #48
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Nice!

Very cool site! Well done!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #49
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
i didn't see this suggested in the first 15 comments I read, but i would love to have the year of publication of the book. Many times I feel like reading something decent. Also, I would like to sort it by year of publication
good site though
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #50
Deb
Connoisseur
Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Love that I can put in the device (Sony, in my case) and it holds through all the searches.

I need to do more looking in the 'not-free' catagory - just downloaded about 9 Oz books, including 2 by Ruth Plumly Thompson. It was a breeze finding them. Definately on my 'Favorites' list!

Thanks for all your efforts.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #51
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
i didn't see this suggested in the first 15 comments I read, but i would love to have the year of publication of the book. Many times I feel like reading something decent. Also, I would like to sort it by year of publication
good site though
I agree, I'd like to be able to sort by date, but also be able to sort by date added to the site (so I can check if something new has come up).

Also, I'd like to be able to display more books per page, but I'd accept it if that feature was only available if you logged in.

Overall, I'd have three goals for your site:

1. Quickly narrow in and find a book that I know I'm looking for. (and for this it would be better if you are usable from a mobile device, so you can check the list while you're in a brick-and-mortar store)

2. Find a new book, one that either just been published, just released in a digital format (or maybe in a *new* format if previously available in other formats), or just added to your site (maybe because you started indexing a new provider, etc.)

3. Find a different book - one that I don't know about. This would require a suggestion engine of some sort, with user recommendations, and "other people who liked this also liked that" types of things.

Aha, I just thought of something - have a "search exclusion" function. For example, at Fictionwise, I've frequently wished I could exclude all the Star Trek books from my search results, 'cause it takes up time to scroll past them.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #52
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
good site though
interesting, i read all posts and no one mentioned the date of publication... I still think it would be very useful
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #53
Deb
Connoisseur
Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Deb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Do you have Diesel eBook Store in your options? I didn't see it when I did a trial search. This is another choice which gives both a discount and rewards toward future purchases.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #54
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I too would welcome the results pages having the ability to sort on differing items such as publication date, release date etc if possible.

regards, Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #55
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
Hi folks,

We are a couple of ebook aficionados who grew tired of clicking through multiple websites to find ebooks in the right format and at the right price. Being software engineers, we decided to try and improve things, and the result is Inkmesh - an ebook search engine. Inkmesh aggregates and analyzes data from multiple ebook and audiobook sources (including MobileRead!) and makes it available for search. In its first version, Inkmesh also allows browsing ebooks by subject and filtering results by price and content type (ebooks, audiobooks, magazines etc). All search results display compatibility with the most popular reading devices and platforms, and individual ebook pages display detailed availability, formats and pricing.

But we're just getting started. The only people who have used Inkmesh so far are the two of us and our significant others, so obviously, Inkmesh is a bit rough around the edges. We think many of you will find the current set of features useful right away, but we are still thinking through all the different directions future development can take. There are some things we definitely need to do, like adding more sources, crawling them more frequently, and providing more filtering options. But beyond that, our feature set depends entirely on our users. And we don't think we can find a better set of initial users than the folks here at MobileRead, from whom we've already learned so much.

So, we request you to give Inkmesh a try - we think you will like it. And we would really appreciate your suggestions for features that you think will be most useful to add to the product. Please let us know through this thread or through the feedback tab on the right edge of all pages on inkmesh.com. Inkmesh is going to improve every day, and your feedback is going to help us work on stuff that matters most.

Thank you!

anurag/bmd
team@inkmesh.com
Great work! A truly useful site to help eBook fans.

Searching for eBooks on most sites tends to bring up audio books as well as eBooks (they should be something like aBooks not eBooks!). I really wish places would make a clear distinction between these two completely different format types.

You obviously shared this frustration and realise there is a fundamental difference between the two formats, because your search function easily allows a user to select only eBooks (or aBooks or both).

Great effort on your part - cheers!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #56
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
So far everything I've search is only sold in Canada and US
Would be nice if it was possible to set availability (like US, EU, etc.) when searching.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #57
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Looks excellent.

Is there a way to refine searches? E.g. if I look for Wilkie Collins' 'Armadale', I get a lot of his other books returned too.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:36 AM   #58
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thank You!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #59
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Impressive product!

I would like to see a better coverage of computer/technical books. If you could include the following people on your source list I think you would just about have the subject covered.

O'Reilly publishing, Appress.com, InFormIT, The Pragmatic Bookshelf
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #60
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Well, your site found my novel in five different places, but ebookprice.info couldn't find it at all
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inkmesh