Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, but this is nonsense. It's the device manufacturer who has that responsibility, not the customer. If you want the source code, ask Bookeen or Netronix for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #62
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why does it matter? I don't know about you, but I'd want to know if someone's giving me instructions which would result in me breaking the law! Sure - giving the instructions is fine, but carrying them out may not be .
It all (or should) depends upon intent. If by carrying out the modification of an EB-100 to run like a Cybook you intend to sell the EB-100 as a 'clone' of a Cybook, as an example, then you're definitely breaking the law. If, on the other hand, you're just experimenting in order to see what you can accomplish, then you should be okay.

Me, I like to see just what a device can do, what features are embedded within the firmware. Remember how Canon digital Rebel XT owners were modifying their XTs to gain access to firmware features found in the 20Ds? (Or was it the 30Ds? I can never remember.) Clearly Canon would have preferred they bought the more expensive cameras, but it was Canon's fault that they made it possible to modify the firmware - not the users' fault. A similar situation is occurring here. It appears that not only the EB-100, but also the Explay and other ebook readers with the same number and layout of controls may well be able to run Cybook firmware. That is both disturbing and welcome news.

Disturbing because it appears the only real change to the hardware (except for the recent addition of the 512MB RAM) was the change from a non-vizplex display, and the redesign of some buttons, there's no other significant difference.

But welcome because this means these older devices should be just as able to run an open-source OS and ebook app as the Cybook - without having to find someone versed enough in the peculiarities of the specific 'orphan device' to do major modification. If I understand correctly, the GSoC project for the Netronix family of devices is being developed for the Cybook Gen3. Now, with this testing, it is becoming increasingly clear that no major mods will be needed to make use of the results on an Explay, STAReBOOK, Orsio or EB-100.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #63
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Neither do I - it was a genuine question, not a rhetorical one .
Some days, on this issue, I wonder if there's anything but a 'rhetorical' answer.

Derek
Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Disturbing because it appears the only real change to the hardware (except for the recent addition of the 512MB RAM) was the change from a non-vizplex display, and the redesign of some buttons, there's no other significant difference.
All CyBooks have a VizPlex screen. Or are you talking about other Netronix devices here? Apologies if I've misunderstood you.

I agree with you - if an alternate firmware becomes available that can run on multiple devices, that can only be good news for the customer.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #65
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
All CyBooks have a VizPlex screen. Or are you talking about other Netronix devices here? Apologies if I've misunderstood you.

I agree with you - if an alternate firmware becomes available that can run on multiple devices, that can only be good news for the customer.
Yes, I was talking about the other, older devices. I believe the Orsio and Explay have vizplex, but I think earlier STAReBOOKs don't.

Derek
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks - I didn't know that!
Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #67
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks - I didn't know that!
You know... After *reading* my post, I think I came across with the attitude that the Orsio and the Explay are somehow "older". And I don't think that's an accurate view. I'm pretty sure the Orsio is 'brand new'. And we already know the EB-100 from Netronix is 'new'... It's a (hardware level) twin of the Cybook, just in a white case.

Derek
Old 06-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I have to confess that I've never heard of either the "Orsio" or the "Explay". I tend not to take that much interest in the Netronix "clones" because, generally speaking, they have very poor format support. An alternate firmware which supported something like "FBReader" would really make them a lot more "interesting" to many, I'm certain.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #69
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Sorry, but this is nonsense. It's the device manufacturer who has that responsibility, not the customer. If you want the source code, ask Bookeen or Netronix for it.
Yes, copyright laws are nonsense. You have the responsibility now. Beware.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #70
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
If you would sell Bookeen to me, I'd have legal right to sue you, as you did not provide written offer for source code and written GPL license text with the device, nor the source code by request. And your only possibly move would be to sue Cybook, as they did not provide it either.
And in Sweden the act of selling seems to be illegal (you can never know for sure since there is no place were you can get an authorative answer).

And I do not really see the difference between this case and buying a pirated videotape and then selling it or downloading a book illegaly and selling it.

It is possible that in other countries the actual design of the first sale principle lead to another answer for the legality but without checking this you cannot know that it is legal.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #71
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is possible that in other countries the actual design of the first sale principle lead to another answer for the legality but without checking this you cannot know that it is legal.
If GPL is valid in the country'n law system, then selling thing which contains GPL-licensed code without providing the written notice is illegal, no matter who manufactured it.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #72
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Delphidb96

It was the Canon 10D!
One of the places describing it was: http://satinfo.narod.ru/en/

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #73
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Hi everybody!

Thanks for this thread, in between all the copyright bickering there is some interesting information...

I understand that the legal situation here is not really that...pretty...but I went ahead anyway, and following the instrucitions on the website linked in the first post I turned my STAReBOOK into a Cybook. It works, despite the STAReBOOK not using Vizplex.

There are still some hitches, I can't use DRM mobipocket boosk yet (but I guess I should be abel to add the PID somewhere to make it work) and Mobipcoket reader also does not recognize the STAReBOOK as Cabook, so I have to copy the books over manually, there are some crashes (if I connect the device to the computer and then disconnect it I get the ceckerboard display error, device works fine, but I can't see a thing, resetting and restarting makes that go away) but it's already a BIG improvement over the DEAD STAReBOOK firmware with it's .STK format...

Thanks.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What does the "About/Advanced" menu show? That's where the PID is displayed on the CyBook.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:02 AM   #75
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
...but I went ahead anyway, and following the instrucitions on the website linked in the first post I turned my STAReBOOK into a Cybook. It works, despite the STAReBOOK not using Vizplex.
Wow, kudos to Commander for being the first to flash his Starebook!

Screenshots?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote