Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Innomen
Innomen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Lightbulb My vote for *.docx support.

Docx is the publishing industry's de facto standard, and therefor writers use it as well. (That should be enough really, but oh well.)

Most tutorials on how to submit and format a book for publishing stress using word's latest default format because that's what publishers are used to for the most part, and if they use something else they are accustomed to converting from word to whatever.

Self publishing services also widely use word. (Lulu.com for example.) And while they may use others, they all include word.

I'm content with the filtered web page method (save as filtered webpage then import) but support for Word's flagship format, and arguably the most popular format on the planet as judged by numbers of professional users is hardly trivial and I think should be seriously reconsidered.

Personally, the only reason I updated to the latest version today (12/20/2011) was because I thought (full?) docx support had been added.

I'd like to be able to proofread final drafts from my ereader, and to use my ereader as a sort of on my person offsite backup in case my computer explodes or my house burns down. Support for docx would allow me to put my draft on my device more easily, and thus carry it with me. It would also show me what my book will look like on an ereader, which is growing more and more important from a publishing standpoint.

Off topic:
This is an old subject and covered elsewhere, but absurd anti-necroposting sentiment forces me to rehash as if it were new instead of simply replying to old. I've never found it useful to duplicate effort (which by definition all anti-necroposting policies require).

Note: I am not subscribed to this post.
Innomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
While I can understand why docx support might be useful, I do not see how it would help you get a view of how thinbgs might look on an ereader. As far as I know none of them support docx (or even doc) natively. The "Save as Web Page (filtered)" option in Word is likely to give the best results as it removes any docx specific formatting to give.HTML that ebook formats are likely to support.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
It all depends on the level of what you want - if you're expecting a converter that keeps the doc looking exactly the same as Word, its extremely unlikely that it'll be seen any time soon. However if you just want to dump docx to unformatted, or extremely simply tagged, that's not very hard at all.

Then the next problem comes then when people expect it to be a magical tool which is going to be perfect... just look at PDF related questions.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innomen View Post
Off topic:
This is an old subject and covered elsewhere, but absurd anti-necroposting sentiment forces me to rehash as if it were new instead of simply replying to old. I've never found it useful to duplicate effort (which by definition all anti-necroposting policies require).
In most forums your sentiments would be accurate, but in the calibre forums (due to rapid development) the vast majority of folks necroposting dig up posts that have old solutions to problems that often no longer exist and thus bring to the forefront inaccuracies in how things work that just serve to confuse new users. Depending on the "old thread" this topic may have been the exception and might have been an ideal candidate for necroposting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innomen View Post
Note: I am not subscribed to this post.
Subscribing or not subscribing to the post means absolutely nothing. You don't have to subscribe to a post to periodically followup and add to the discussion. Now if what you mean is you will never look at the thread you started nor add to future debate on this topic.... why tell us?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, docx, feature request, suggestion, support