Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #76
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
How do you read with it one handed? I love my new K4B but I'm so used to the page turn buttons at the bottom of my Sonys that I can't quite figure out the Kindle.

Andrew
I'm can totaly understand. I'm used to my sony's and I think their buttons are perfectly placed for one handed reading. My first Kindle is on it's way and I think using those buttons on the side will take some getting used to.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #77
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I probably should have posted this here, but it's done now, unless a moderator would like to move it here.

At least it settles once and for all whether the new Kindle 2012 is "better" than the Kindle 2011.

Differences between Kindle (2011) and Kindle 2012)
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #78
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
How do you read with it one handed? I love my new K4B but I'm so used to the page turn buttons at the bottom of my Sonys that I can't quite figure out the Kindle.

Andrew

I hold the corner in the palm of my hand and put my thumb on the page next button. It works well in either hand.

I could never do this with the K3 because I have small hands but no problem with the K4B now they changed the back's finish to be like the Kindle Fire's.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #79
Moriarty's
confictura animus
Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

Andrew
Moriarty's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #80
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I hold the corner in the palm of my hand and put my thumb on the page next button. It works well in either hand.

I could never do this with the K3 because I have small hands but no problem with the K4B now they changed the back's finish to be like the Kindle Fire's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty's View Post
<<photo of kindle and attractive woman in mirror>>
I think that's what I'm trying to do, but when I press the next page button with my thumb it wants to rotate the reader rather than click the button. I guess it'll come with practice.

Edited to add:Ah, I see what the problem is. My hands are so big that when I cradle the Kindle as shown in the photo my thumb rests on the back button not the page forward one. More experimentation required...

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 09-19-2012 at 06:22 AM.
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #81
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think that's what I'm trying to do, but when I press the next page button with my thumb it wants to rotate the reader rather than click the button. I guess it'll come with practice.

Edited to add:Ah, I see what the problem is. My hands are so big that when I cradle the Kindle as shown in the photo my thumb rests on the back button not the page forward one. More experimentation required...

Andrew
I could see that being a problem because it is a tiny reader. I also own a cover with a hand hold on the inside left part. It's great for one hand reading.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #82
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I could see that being a problem because it is a tiny reader. I also own a cover with a hand hold on the inside left part. It's great for one hand reading.
I need the extra thickness of a cover to hold a device like a Kindle. Not so much big hands, though I'm 6'2", as much as old hands with arthritis and carpel tunnel. When I was a child in my first year of public school we had to use those big fat pencils because our hands didn't work well with smaller, normal sized pencils. Now that I'm getting older I'm once again looking for fatter pens and pencils!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Now if I only knew how to keep the back from staining.
That's easy. Get a good cover. I've found that a good cover actually makes holding the reader easier. A good cover does not stain the back of the reader. A poorly made cover is what stains the back of the reader.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I am the opposite. I never understood why Sony placed the buttons below the screen rendering one-handed use extremely awkward. To use the low buttons you have to hold the reader by the bottom bezel which means there is a tendency for it to lean backwards and place a lot of stress on your thumb and hand. It was okay for landscape reading, but for portrait reading it gets an F from me in ergonomics. Holding a reader by the lower bezel also makes it more difficult to balance the reader on my fat belly.

The ergonomics of the K3 and K4 really outshine those of the Sony readers as far as one-handed operation. At least in my opinion they do.

EDIT: I've owned several Sony readers BTW, so I've used both Sony and Kindle extensively.
The Sony readers starting with the x50 line and the T1 & T2 don't actually need the page turn buttons. You can hold them easily in one hand and a simple flick of the thumb is all it takes to swipe the screen to change the page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #85
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's easy. Get a good cover. I've found that a good cover actually makes holding the reader easier. A good cover does not stain the back of the reader. A poorly made cover is what stains the back of the reader.
Exactly
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #86
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
So, I was delusional and thought I could find a Paperwhite in my local Staples. They only had the silver K4 on display, reduced to $69. No word on the PW. When I asked about the new black one, the sales person asked the manager, who first played stupid and then very grudgingly got me a box from the back. They really are trying to get rid of old stock. Anyhow, before my brain kicked in, I found myself leaving Staples with a brand new kindle in my hands.
I can confirm that the font is noticeably darker, and, what's more, the background is now a nice cream versus the light grey of my silver K4. It is only a bit brighter, but the tint is so much more pleasing to the eye.
I loaded the same book on both NT kindles and did not find the new one faster. Also, the ghosting is noticeable on the new screen, probably due to the increased contrast, while it never was on my old one. I checked that the refresh settings were the same on both.

So, I am going to keep it. I would have returned it if it didn't have a better contrast and the really nice background tint - I almost wanted to not like it. Sigh.

Oh, and, yes, the black bezel does add to the nicer contrast perception, but I covered the bezels and the difference was still there. Text is more legible, colors more pleasant.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #87
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Ghosting is a temp problem. Give it a bit to warm up. Neither K4 I have ghosts unless its really cold.

I love how you made them go digging. Shame on them for pushing old stuff. Amazon would not be happy.

Congrats on your new Kindle.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #88
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thanks
I am very happy!!

Still can't believe they are trying to sell the old one for the exact same price. Poor customres who don't know any better.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #89
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
I had the same problem at Staples. The new ones were in the back room. I had to tell them it was in their flyer. No demo unit, just a sign for the new guy, right next to the silver demo unit and sign. I think it will be tough to push the silver at the same price as the black.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #90
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Thanks
I am very happy!!

Still can't believe they are trying to sell the old one for the exact same price. Poor customres who don't know any better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyd View Post
I had the same problem at Staples. The new ones were in the back room. I had to tell them it was in their flyer. No demo unit, just a sign for the new guy, right next to the silver demo unit and sign. I think it will be tough to push the silver at the same price as the black.

Yeah I'd say to tell them good luck with that! Maybe if they mark them down to $49 or less but otherwise get the Black version it's better.