Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Story HD Battery Life

How long does your Story HD last for a single charge?

The specification says 14'000 page turns or 6 weeks of battery life.

I seem to get maybe 2-3 days of reading. That's using an SD card which I'm sure also eats some power. No Wifi though - European version. I'm also reading several hours a day (sometimes an entire book in a single day). The books have around 300 pages, I'm not sure how many page turns that actually needs in my font size setting (fourth-largest). Certainly more than 300 as there isn't a page number on every page.

Yesterday I ran out of battery while reading for the first time, at least I think so - I'm not sure since the battery state isn't displayed all the time and I didn't pay attention to it. The text just grayed out when turning the page.

I connected the USB charger then, and it instantly displayed the charge device / connect storage selection screen. So the device was still alive, it didn't wake up from standby or even reboot or anything. Selecting Charge, I was back in the book like normal.

I unplugged the charger then and opened the options menu (where the battery status is displayed), and it showed 4 black bars for the battery. So I'm not entirely sure about that out of battery theory; either the battery status display is just unreliable or it was a different problem altogether.

Altogether I'm not too impressed with battery life - which isn't a problem really since there's always a power source available. I had to charge my old PocketBook 360° just as often, but then again, the PB360 just promises 8'000 page turns and 30 days of battery life, whereas the Story HD claims a much larger number.

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-13-2011 at 07:48 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I get about 3 weeks on mine, but I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had much time to read. I hardly ever turn the wifi on, and I don't use an SD card. I certainly don't get the advertised usage though.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
I read one to three hours per a day and the battery lasts about a week. I have a wifi (US) model, but I rarely use it. Most of the books I read are EPUB (almost no PDF.) My SD card slot is empty.
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote