Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
David Derrico
Connoisseur
David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & Kobo Wireless
Question Calibre Indent Issue When Removing Blank Lines (Converting From HTML to MOBI or EPUB)

First of all, thank you for an excellent e-book organization and conversion program.

I recently started using Calibre not only for organization, but also to format my e-books, by converting my HTML files into MOBI and ePub formats.

For the output, I prefer first line indents in paragraphs, with no blank lines between paragraphs.

My problem is that I can set the Calibre export options to (a) leave blank lines between paragraphs and retain the paragraph indents encoded in my HTML /CSS, or (b) remove blank lines and add paragraph indents of a set amount. The problem with option (b) is that it adds paragraph indents even to centered lines (such as chapter headings), which makes them off-center. This is regardless of the CSS styles I specify (where <p> tags have a first-line indent set and <h1> or other centered styles have the first-line indent set to 0).

I was wondering if either I am missing a way to get what I want (no blank lines between paragraphs, but it respects the existence or absence of first-line indents I set through CSS), or if this is perhaps a feature that could be added to a future version of Calibre? (Perhaps a check-box to "retain paragraph indents set through CSS when removing blank lines" or "do not add indents to centered lines.") As far as I can tell, this one nitpick is the only thing preventing Calibre from creating perfect MOBI output for me.

Thank you in advance for any help on this matter!
David Derrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, If your headings are using HTML heading tags they wont have indents added to them. calibre only add indents to <p> and <div> tags.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
David Derrico
Connoisseur
David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the response!

So instead of doing <p class="c1"> (which I have set to centered, 0 indent), I could do, say <h3> and just make h3 centered with normal font size and then Calibre won't insert indents on those lines?

I don't suppose using <h3> tags would have any adverse effects, since I have Calibre set to only make TOC entries for <h1> tags.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, that should do the trick.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
David Derrico
Connoisseur

Thank you very much, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply! And thanks again for all your work on an excellent piece of software!
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
David Derrico
Connoisseur

Just for the record, using header (<h3> or <h4>) tags inserts blank lines before and after the line, but I can live with it. It did fix the indenting issue.