Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
skdutta
jojobar
skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-900
PRS-900 Pdf file experience

I was trying to read a 12.1 MB pdf file (downloaded from OReilly). This book has quite a few images. Although I did not have problems viewing the images on the reader, the reader froze when I was trying to go to the next page at the end of the table of contents, and a couple of chapters.

I could get around this by going to the next page number (by GoTo function)

I am wondering if epub format is more suitable for this reader? or anybody has seen a problem like this?
skdutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
skdutta
jojobar
skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skdutta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-900
Just tested by downloading the same book in the epub format, it works fine on the epub format and the tables are also showing up correctly.

So it looks like it may be better to convert the pdf to epub before viewing on the reader. Comments?
skdutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I read a lot of PDFs (I am a PhD student) and some of those larger than the 12 MBs you mentioned. The largest one I have is 28 MBs, and I don't really notice any slowdowns - but it isn't heavy on graphics, just A LOT of pages. I haven't had the device for long, but I have more than 300 PDFs archived with annotations taken on the PRS, many larger than 10 MBs.

Slowdowns are common - especially if:

1) The current or following page has some heavy images;

2) I take handwritten notes and leave the note tool open when switching page;

3) Use Zoom or Resized Text.

4) The 3G connection is on and the Reader is checking for new deliveries/downloading new deliveries in the background (this seems to be a problem if you have many subscriptions active, otherwise it's too infrequent to notice).

Now, combinations of the above have occasionally (rarely, I should say) led to VERY LONG loading times. With "very long" I mean - up to a minute or so. Which feels like forever, if you are trying to turn a page. But, this has happened rarely and it has never completely frozen my device.

I had one freeze that forces a hard reboot (using the reset at the bottom of the device). It happened once when opening the dictionary - go figure...
Never had the device freeze otherwise.

Last edited by vxf; 06-22-2010 at 11:47 AM.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
tbiking
tbiking began at the beginning.

Device: prs900
Question Random blank pages in pdf

Hello vxf,

Interesting that you use the PRS 900 with your study (I am currently applying for a PhD myself and am planning to use the PRS 900 for the same reason). I am curious on your developed method: how do you produce your PDF's or do you ever have to clean up your PDF's to make them display better? I.e. I have had a couple of PDF's suddenly appear with a blank page in the reader or in the PC reader while it still displays perfectly in Adobe reader.

Thank you in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I read a lot of PDFs (I am a PhD student) and some of those larger than the 12 MBs you mentioned. The largest one I have is 28 MBs, and I don't really notice any slowdowns - but it isn't heavy on graphics, just A LOT of pages. I haven't had the device for long, but I have more than 300 PDFs archived with annotations taken on the PRS, many larger than 10 MBs.

Slowdowns are common - especially if:

1) The current or following page has some heavy images;

2) I take handwritten notes and leave the note tool open when switching page;

3) Use Zoom or Resized Text.

4) The 3G connection is on and the Reader is checking for new deliveries/downloading new deliveries in the background (this seems to be a problem if you have many subscriptions active, otherwise it's too infrequent to notice).

Now, combinations of the above have occasionally (rarely, I should say) led to VERY LONG loading times. With "very long" I mean - up to a minute or so. Which feels like forever, if you are trying to turn a page. But, this has happened rarely and it has never completely frozen my device.

I had one freeze that forces a hard reboot (using the reset at the bottom of the device). It happened once when opening the dictionary - go figure...
Never had the device freeze otherwise.
tbiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
rblover69
rblover69 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS900BC
I love my 900 aswell and often DL the PDF files onto it for my studies aswell. I have everything on my 900 from military information ( im in the USAF) to books and articles becasue i subscribe to the WSJ on it. Annotations on many books and i love the thing.
rblover69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiking View Post
Hello vxf,

Interesting that you use the PRS 900 with your study (I am currently applying for a PhD myself and am planning to use the PRS 900 for the same reason). I am curious on your developed method: how do you produce your PDF's or do you ever have to clean up your PDF's to make them display better? I.e. I have had a couple of PDF's suddenly appear with a blank page in the reader or in the PC reader while it still displays perfectly in Adobe reader.

Thank you in advance.
When I make my own files, say from a word document, the only thing I make sure of is not to use Times New Roman. At times, it creates display problems in PDFs.

Aside from that, I use BRISS to crop margins and, occasionally, to reorganize text (for example, if it is in multiple columns).

I have not had the 'blank page' problem myself.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

If you are making your own documents, I suggest converting them to ePubs. PDFs are big and slow and the text doesn't reflow properly. Using ePubs gives you a lot more functionlity and reflowable text. There are several good, free programs to convert Word DOC and RTF to ePub.

If you do create PDFs for a PRS-900, I suggest that you make the document size appx. 3.5 x 6 inches and use small margins all around. I would keep the margins to about 0.25 inch or less. This size of PDF should look good on your 900 as it is the size of it's screen (excluding the information bar at the bottom of the screen). As mentioned above, avoid the Times New Roman font. A lot of people actually prefer a sans serif font on digital readers, but use whatever is easiest for your eyes to read.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-24-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Tags
prs-900 pdf epub