Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
After Nightfall
After Nightfall began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Battery drain - fixed with new firmware?

Hello all,

After vigilantly lurking on your excellent forum, I have finally, after months of waffling, decided that the best reader for my needs would be the Bebook Neo / Onyx Boox. I do have one question left, however, and that is battery drain.

I have heard that the battery lasts barely a week with these devices - it just drains if you leave it in standby. I also seem to recall reading that this might be partially a firmware issue. So I am wondering - was this fixed? If it wasn't, I'll probably still get it and just turn it on when I'm not reading, but I would really prefer to be able to just pick it up and read. Also, is there something I can do to prolong battery life? I am a fast and frequent reader, and I hate having to charge my current device (Palm TX) all the time, so I would really like to reduce that as much as possible.

Thank you for your answers. Personal anecdotes are, of course, welcome too.
After Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I've had my Onyx Boox for 4 months now. I've been reading some 2 books per week on average, and normally I need to recharge once per week. I normally switch the device off when I know I'm not going to read further within the next hour or so. This week I'm trying what happens if I leave it on standby more often. I'm not seeing a lot of difference yet.
I think that battery life is better with the latest firmware, but did not make any real measurements, so I'm not really sure.
The WiFi can drain the battery, so don't browse the Internet if you want to prolong battery life.
There's been a rumor that putting the stylus in its slot would switch the Wacom screen off and so save power, but that's not true. It makes no difference where you put the stylus.
I don't know if using the stylus to page through a book takes more or less power than using the button, so I cannot recommend one over the other.
People say that reading books from internal memeory takes less power than reading them from an SD card.

In all, if you mainly use the Neo / Boox for 'fast and frequent' reading , you can expect to recharge it once to twice per week (perhaps closer to 'twice').

You've made an excellent choice. The Neo / Boox is a great reader!
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Elmo23
Elmo23 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook NEO
I bought it while having the same reservations ( battery life )
It really does drain. Weekly recharging is a must . Switching off during the day aswell.
1 night after leaving it switched on cost half the battery.
Thats a big minus in my eyes.
On the other hand. The nice bigger screen reads so fantastic. And also the response time is quick enough. I am totally lyrical about my 3 week old toy. I love it.
I dont know if the new firmware fixes it, have not yet tried it. Will do this weekend i guess. On USB it recharches in 3 hours, so it is not a mayor pain in the ... .
Especially since i my puter is on a lot anyways.

Again, its a fantastic piece of work. I do hope they fix the battery drain before my 3 week vacation tough. It is the only downside. ( but not a dealbreaker if you dont go away from a powerpoint for more then 4 days and switch it off.)
Elmo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
After Nightfall
After Nightfall began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo
Thanks for your replies, guys. I can live with weekly charging and shutting it off if the bootup time is fast enough and if the device can remember my place in the book I was last reading.
After Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Elmo23
Elmo23 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook NEO
Hi,

then you can buy it
Startup is 10 - 20 seconds.
Then you klick on recent docs and select the book and it will open the proper page.

greetings
Elmo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert