Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Calibre and the iPad

Amazon has confirmed that Stanza is not coming to the iPad. I seriously doubt that Kindle for the iPad will have the integration to non-Amazon book sources that Stanza had.

Which leaves me wondering -- what will be my book app of choice for the iPad? Yes, I'll be able to use Calibre to convert books to epub and then read them with Apple's book app.

However, I really love how Calibre server and Stanza work together to allow easy loading of books into my iphone wirelessly.

I'll miss that and wonder what other apps might be on the horizon for the iPad that will put that feature back in.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I really love how Calibre server and Stanza work together to allow easy loading of books into my iphone wirelessly.

I'll miss that and wonder what other apps might be on the horizon for the iPad that will put that feature back in.
I assume iPad will have a browser? Just set up the content server. That's how books go to my 3 WinMo devices (unless I decide to use the Save to Disk function).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I doubt that you will be able to download files.

Lee
Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The iPad _will_ be able to accept files from another system, unless Apple changes what they have put in their SDK:

Search

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...pad-reax.ars/3

for ``shared folder''

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Actually, I doubt that you will be able to download files.
Would a device that could not download files have any chance of being commercially successful?

I'm the first to admit I know little about Apple products, but who would buy a device like that in this day and age?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Apple has already told us that they will support open epub files. Ultimately, the best option is you can just drag and drop your epub just like music files into your iTunes and sync them. This would likely be for iBooks access only.

It's no shock that Amazon is squashing Stanza when Amazon wants to push their ebook reader/delivery system for the iPad. The good news is there are dozens of other book readers and another one that wasn't bought out by Amazon will come to the forefront. Personally, I really like Txtr better than Stanza. All the epubs I've looked at (my own creations), format better in Txtr.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
We'll just have to see once the iPad is released. The two strategies that immediately come to mind (as have been previously pointed out) are:

1) shared folder via send to dvice/save to disk

2) content server via the browser on the iPad

Hopefully, one or the other will work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Amazon has confirmed that Stanza is not coming to the iPad.

Lee

Can you provide a link for this?

Thanks.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
PaleoRDR
Stone Tablet Reader
PaleoRDR began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Can you provide a link for this?

Thanks.
Likewise. I've searched all through Google using several different sets of
keywords, and I can't find ANY indication of such an announcement. The only thing we've seen is a post from Neelan at Lexcycle stating that they aren't currently working on a iPad-optimized version of Stanza at this time.

Please, if this is more than rumor, post a reference link. I've been expecting this kind of a move since the Amazon acquisition of Lexcycle, but don't want to react prematurely.
PaleoRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoRDR View Post
The only thing we've seen is a post from Neelan at Lexcycle stating that they aren't currently working on a iPad-optimized version of Stanza at this time.
If Lexcycle isn't working on one -- then we aren't going to have Stanza on the ipad, right? So those of us getting our iPads and who love Stanza -- we are left wondering "what will I use instead of Stanza"?

Yes, there will be readers -- starting with the Apple book app. I would not want to have to use iTunes and sync to move books onto my iPad. I liked how Stanza and Calibre worked together to wirelessly deliver books to my iPhone.

There may come a day, sometime later, when Lexcycle puts out Stanza for the iPad. Or there may not. It doesn't change anything about this post as those of use getting iPad's and wishing their Stanza experience won't have it at least for awhile.

Lee
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
jollysword
jollysword began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
the latest iTunes update allows for adding EPUBs to your iTunes library. I tested it out last night. I could load an EPUB just fine into iTunes, but the Cover did not show up properly in the iTunes display. Not sure if this was due to a Calibre conversion thing. The same EPUB works great in Adobe Digital Editions, but not in Stanza (for PC).
jollysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
3-Pack
3-Pack began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 and iPad
Most, but not all, of the epubs I dragged into iTunes were missing covers. It's easy to fix this manually, though. Just right-click on the file, choose "get info," then "artwork," and add the cover from your Calibre library. Piece of pie.
3-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
We'll just have to see once the iPad is released.
Kovid, are you planning on adding another toy to your inventory of readers? The iPad sure looks like it is reaching critical mass, with respect to its usage as a reader. Only a prediction as of this day, but Saturday looks exciting.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Kovid, are you planning on adding another toy to your inventory of readers? The iPad sure looks like it is reaching critical mass, with respect to its usage as a reader. Only a prediction as of this day, but Saturday looks exciting.
A couple of calibre developers are getting iPads (I'm not one of them), so support for it should appear relatively quickly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote